Tv - what can I use it for?

dave183

Novice Member
I have an LG flatron tv in my bedroom. I cannot afford to have sky multiroom upstairs anymore and am returning their mini sky q box. What can I do with this tv?

What I watch on my tv? Do I need an aerial?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Model number?
Link to the specs for it?

For UK terrestrial aka Freeview reception you'll need a working UHF TV aerial, assuming the set has a suitable tuner.

tvdavid

could run coax cable from the main aerial if you have one on a 2-way boaster.
or get a games console or use for DVDs or could connect a PC.

dave183

Novice Member
I have a sky aerial that runs to the fish- two wires?
I don’t have an aerial- just the sky aerial that runes to the dish, two lines, that used to connect to old sky box?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I have a sky aerial that runs to the fish- two wires?

I don’t have an aerial- just the sky aerial that runes to the dish, two lines, that used to connect to old sky box?
That's known as a satellite feed, it's not an aerial.
To use your monitor/TV (LG Flatrons are really PC monitors with a TV tuner) you either need to get an aerial fitted or buy a Freesat box which you can connect the satellite downleads to.

Last edited:

CatsWithThumbs

The other option I guess is to connect an Amazon Firestick, I understand these will allow streaming of some live TV channels via WiFi

vickster

Distinguished Member
Chromecast and cast from a mobile device?

A1944

In Manchester, you might (I repeat - might) get a good signal from the transmitter on Winter Hill. If that is the case then, though it is not normally recommended, you may get sufficient signal with some kind of indoor aerial, preferably one that, at least, looks similar to those you see on roofs.

A satellite dish will not provide any service for Freeview (only Freesat) so that idea can be disregarded,

Try putting your post code into:
to see what indications you get for Winter Hill (or maybe some local relay transmitter).

A Sky (satellite) dish is not normally referred to as an aerial, though technically it may be, so best to avoid that description to avoid confusion.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom