Question TV wall mount on stud/plasterboard wall..

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Singhisking, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Singhisking

Singhisking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a lot but im stuck. I want to wall mount my tv unfortunately the wall is a stud wall. What would be the best way to fix the wall mount? I currently have a Sony 40HX853 which is currently for sale but might use in the meantime but will be upgrading to a Sony 65X9305C which weighs 48KG?!. The problem is not fitting it is if the wall can hold it. Ive chosen multiple cantilever tv brackets such as:

Leaptek Double Arm Tilt and Swivel Wall Mount Bracket: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

VonHaus Cantilever Arm Wall Mount Bracket with Swivel and Tilt for 37 - 70-Inch LCD Flat Panel TV: Amazon.co.uk: TV

VonHaus Premium Cantilever TV Wall Bracket for 32 - 65 inch LCD, LED & Plasma TV. Super-strength Load Capacity up to 75KG, 15 degree Tilt mechanism up/down, Max VESA 700x450: Amazon.co.uk: TV

Will the wall be able to hold it with the tv of that weight and mount. Im guessing a flat tilt mount will be fine to do by myself and easy to fit. I can do it myself but gave a call to mountmytv who are willing to fit the mount and check for any support behind the wall to see if its possible to fit the cantilever mount for £125 if not it will just be a flat tv mount..

Also would the quality of the mount do any difference?

Just want some advice before I go ahead people

Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  2. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    The first two have mounting area's far too small for plasterboard, the second would of been good if it was rated for 48kg AND lined up with a wooden stud, but we can dismiss it because it's only rated for 35kg

The third bracket is better as it spreads the load over a larger area, but I'd still be very worried about hanging 50kg on just plasterboard, and if it was only 9mm board I would not even consider it.

The Grip It fixings take between 50kg to 90kg per fixing depending on the ones used, and of course ultimately depends on the condition of the plasterboard, so in theory should hold your TV up. I would aim to find the stud work and get some fixings into that and use some Grip It fixings to secure the rest. Don't put the fixings too close together or you'll weaken the plasterboard.

The safest method is to fix to stud work, or cut out a section of plasterboard, feed in some wood and screw in place, then screw the cut out bit of board back in, then mount the TV bracket and TV which hides the cut out.

Also remember the cantilever mounts impose more load when extended.

REMEMBER YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - there is a thread on here recently where a professionally installed TV recently fell down, luckily it survived due to a very quick reacting owner.

3. Singhisking

Singhisking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216

Hey mate really appreciate the advise. As I'm a bit hesitant think I'm going to get a professional to do it makes me annoyed as I shouldn't pay for something I could quiet easily do but don't want to risk messing with the plasterboard! This is the mount I got in the end http://jl.avfgroup.com/en/products/view/JNL655

Seems to me it's better quality and better generally than the others.

4. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    That mount does look a lot better, and having a wider mounting plate means the load is spread out more and a far greater chance of fixing to the stud work.

5. Singhisking

Singhisking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Yeah exactly I wish I never got rid of my previous one on here now lol but oh well. Still gonna get a pro to do it I think it's annoying but at least it will get done properly and without any fuss or problems. The good thing about the mount is I can move the plate right or left if the mount is directly fitted onto the studs and they are in a uneven position.

6. scythefwd

scythefwd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    in an office building I worked at.. they would screw a piece of plywood to the studs and mount the tv mounts to the plywood. Gives you multiple anchor points to the studs (not gonna get any stronger than that) and lets you space your mounting holes as needed for the tv bracket.

7. Singhisking

Singhisking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Thanks man well i had changed my mind as I had a guy from richer sounds come and look at it and he said to get a flat TV bracket as the viewing angle won't affect or need a cantilever bracket and he wants to hit at least to studs when mounting