1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tv vs radiator

Discussion in 'TVs' started by luv ya jen, Jul 18, 2003.

1. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    getting a new sofa soon problem is that the minute i have the sofa against a radiator but when i get the new sofa i may have to swap things around i.e put the tv against the radiator what problems would this cause if any

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I had a TV against a radiator for around 5 years with no problems - the set was about 4" away from the rad.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Reminds of when I heard about a Granada(Hitachi) set that only worked well next to the radiator. It had problems from cold when switching on but next to the radiator kept it warm enough to avoid start up problems in the winter and the warmer summer temperature meant it was ok starting then. I suppose its all down to how well the tv runs heat wise. Most now seem energy efficient and run quite cold especially with all that space above the circuit board below the neck of the tube. I'm sure manufacturers wouldn't recommend it but it should be ok.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,069
    Radiators are typically made of Steel - a ferromagnetic material - which means that they may have acquired some permanent magnetism. And external magnetism can cause purity errors with direct view CRTs. Same effect as nearby unshielded loudspeakers.