TV vs monitor for home entertainment

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by elsmandino, Jan 11, 2017.

1. elsmandino

elsmandino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    By way of background, I watch all my recorded TV via the following:

* A central headless server, containing a mixture of TV tuners (and running NPVR).
    * Three Raspberry Pis connected to a 40" Samsung TV connected to an A/V amp (Living Room), 32" Toshiba TV (Bedroom) and a 22" Samsung TV (Spare Room).

It has just struck me that I do not use the internal tuners for any of the TVs - in fact I don't even use the speakers for the 40" TV.

If I had to re-buy these three screens, would I in fact be better off buying three PC monitors instead?

A brief bit of research seems to suggest there would be no draw back - picture quality, price, weight, depth, energy use etc. all seem to be in favour of monitors.

Assuming that you only ever watch TV via a mini PC, is a monitor the better choice?

The above is not just academic, I am looking at buying another two Pis - one for my son's room (possibly 28") and one for the kitchen (22").

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Gregoy Finchman

Gregoy Finchman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    To watch movies and other programs between TV and monitor, I prefer TV. Currently using HP monitor and I am not happy with its picture and color quality.

3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    Anything above 30" on PC's and the prices tend to go very high.

PC displays lack firmware support, so problems with display are almost never fixed without a recall to factory.

Such display are designed for use with PC so their HDMI ports arent always tested so thoroughly against consumer electronics. TV's default to 16-236 limited RGB whereas PC's use 0-255 full RGB which can lead to image quality problems if not properly configured.

Lack of easy switching between inputs is another issue that plagues monitors though it varies from brand to brand.

In your particular scenario it works for you as your using PC's to begin with and not much else but I wouldn't ordinarily advise it.

4. elsmandino

elsmandino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thank you both - really helpful responses.

I can now understand why more people aren't doing what I originally suggested.

I am just going to stick with proper TVs.

Thanks again.