• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TV Volume

S

stevep4

IS there any cure for excessive TV volume during adverts etc?

It is really beginning to p*ss me off that with almost any tv programme these days it is necesary to raise the volume to hear the actual program and dialogue, but as soon as the adverts or signature music comes along, it is necessary to hit the mute button to avoid waking next doors children!!

This is noticed on both terrestrial and freeview channels.

Friends have noticed the same on their televisions.

We have a modern LCD screen, with plenty of adjustment of sound effects and equaliser settings, but no effect.

Anyone got any ideas, apart from a letter to some ombudsman or watchdog??

unique

i remember an issue like this was mentioned on tv before, and it's a result of advertisers "normalising" the volume on the ads, which lifts all the frequencies to a high volume, so the ad will appear as loud as possible during broadcast so you don't miss em

the solution is to use a pvr, and skip thru the ads, and don't watch live commercial tv

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
yes, the TV companies supposedely dont alter the volume, its the recording levels in the actual recording.....which means the company who does it for the advertiser.......

i find that on a surround system its far less noticeable as a lot of the info gets dispersed over 5 speakers and appears less potent that way...but i must admit on my parents normal Panasonic CRT with its own stereo speakers that soon as the adverts come on mum lunges for the remote and turns it down as the difference is quite drastic!

scooby l

Wouldn't it be nice if one of the amp manufacurers made a "sound sensitive" amp, where the speaker decibals are monitored real time, meaning whatever volume you set it at... it remains the same, whatever the imput source.. it cannot be that hard surely?

(And I do fast forward through as many ads as possible...but I keep running out of spare minutes!..)

T

TeccyBob

There seems to be a great deal of rubbish talked about this. The Italians have identified that advertisers are increasing in Ads by up to 50%. They are looking at ways to ban the practice.

Bob:

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
scooby l said:
Wouldn't it be nice if one of the amp manufacurers made a "sound sensitive" amp, where the speaker decibals are monitored real time, meaning whatever volume you set it at... it remains the same, whatever the imput source.. it cannot be that hard surely?

(And I do fast forward through as many ads as possible...but I keep running out of spare minutes!..)

The facility you request does actually exist in some equipment. Some call it "midnight mode".
Scroll down to the "Midnight Mode" section here :
http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/36-01/sigmaDSP/index.html

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
AMc said:
I've also seen it described as 'Dynamic compression'

dynamic compression is for making the various sounds in a soundtrack an equal volume.........if however the overall volume is louder then far as i know it will stay that way........so it wont work....plus i'm not sure but it might only be applicable to DD/DTS tracks.....cant remember for certain on that last bit...

AMc

Distinguished Member
I vaguely recall that the same term is used in Dolby Digital tracks (certainly my old Samsung 709 had it) but it was disc dependent and never actually saw a disc that claimed to support it.

Audio compression is the process of making louder things quieter and quieter things louder - compressing the range. You get compression pedals for guitars for instance. It should keep the overal volume consistent regardless of the input level.

I though my old LG Netee TV from the bedroom had a setting but I can't google anything to back it up.

Edit - Had a look it's called AVL on the TV and seems to work at taming the SHOUTING ADVERTS.
I use Tivo in the lounge and there's no sound as the ads skip by a 30x :)

Max Payne

One of the main reasons for me watching less and less TV - Im sick of my wife freaking out when the ads come on.

Its also the reason I buy mostly TV Dvd boxsets now as you don' t have to put up with the interruptions.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom