TV,VCR,Sat and DVD connection

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Towers, Jan 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Towers

Towers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to connect the following to a TV that has 2 scart leads :-

VCR
    SAT
    DVD

Every time I connect either the DVD or SAT directly to the TV via scart they take over the TV completly. At the moment I can watch SAT, Terrestial, and VCR, if I want to watch DVD I have to plug it in to the TV each time and then unplug it again to watch the rest.

I hope someone can help !

Thanks ......Robert

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has your DVD player got 2xscarts?

If it has then try:

DVD AV1 > TV AV1 (RGB)
    SKY AV1 > DVD AV2
    SKY AV2> VCR AV2
    VCR AV1 > TV AV2

3. Towers

Towers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob,

I shall check it out, if it has I shall try your suggestion.

Thanks....Robert

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    There is a scart 'pecking order' that you are running fowl of (sorry about that) You have to turn off the devices you are not using, then you can daisy chain the lot together. DVD will take over as it's the top of the tree, then VHS. You might not notice the VHS take over if you have it set to 'AV' rather than a channel. Very confusing after a beer or two though, 'why isn't the channel changing' etc.

5. Towers

Towers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

DO you know then how I actually cable them up ?

Robert....

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Well, any way you like almost! One of your TV scarts will be RGB capable. Probably AV1. Use that for sky, and DVD. Set both to output RGB for best picture. You can either stick the video on the end of that, or maybe put that on AV2. That way the video won't be able to confuse issues, but should still get a recordable signal off sky. If not then it will have to go on the chain with the others. You can check this by setting the VCR to AV, and TV to AV2. If you get sky, great, if not, scart the video on the end of the daisy chain, ie VCR>dvd>sky>TV RGB scart. Sky has only 1 RGB capable scart also, this must be the one you connect the TV to. Same may be true of the DVD, connect the RGB scart to the other sky scart, which can pass an RGB signal. VCR will then go onto the 2nd DVD scart if it has one!

Scart priorities go DVD 1st, VCR 2nd SAT 3rd. If you turn on the DVD that's what you get. Same with VCR. Sky might be pushy though, if so turn it off on the remote, don't let it turn the TV off, my in-laws' insists on doing that!

PS if your DVD has only 1 scart, youll have to put it on AV1 on it's own, and chain sky and VCR on AV2. Not perfect for sky picture, but like's like that...

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Just make sure that the second SCARTS do have RGB in.
    For instance, my Pioneer 717 DVD player only allows for composite in, preventing me form using it in a daisy chain set up.
    But it is an old model and this has been corrected with more recent Pioneer models. I know it can be upgraded, but i'm happy with my current config. (SCART switch box)

VCRs are usually OK, however I would have to have my JVC SVHS vcr turned on and set to to AV2/SAT to see the incoming signal on the TV. Yet my on my brother's old Philips vcr, he can have his turned off or even record off air and his incoming DVD RGB signal is unaffected....BAH!

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Stange innit? But no mystery with the JVC, it doesn't do RGB and will, if you have the in/out selected as s-video, have to convert the signal, so it needs power....

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I'm pretty sure that it does have RGB in. I'll have to check.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    My jvc svhs has not, it has svid in via scart, and svid out via scart.

11. phil r brown

phil r brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hm... I may be off track here, but lets try.

Generally it should not matter in what order or string you connect these scarts to the TV.. no single device should be able to "take over" your TV ( as you describe ).

The problem may lie elsewhere... in that there is a "signal" pin on all scart sockets ( its pin 8 ) this carries a signal from your device to tell the TV to switch to that AV line... but this only happens when that device activates.. ie you start play on a vcr or dvd ( with the device just sitting idle, even powered on, this signal should not be sent ).

n.b. this signal on pin 8 can only be carried if you are using a fully wired scart.

For your DVD to take over the TV, it sounds as if you have a permanent signal on this pin 8... I would first suspect the scart cables themselves ( maybe a loose or crossed wire inside ).. if not that then maybe the device scart output is suspect ( unlikely ).

Acid test would be to try an alternative scart lead... or if you have a spare lead, just break off the tab for pin 8 ( use long nosed plier inside the scart head and just twist off the tab for pin 8... one end of the scart lead will do ).

If you can plug the device then and it doesnt take over your tv, you are on right track.

Phil

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Good point Phil, I have made several assumptions in my advice, including use of fully wired scarts, and no faults. It is easy to be confused by pin 8 switching until used to it, That may be all that's wrong, but then again, a faulty cable could produce the takeover bid described.

13. Towers

Towers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for all you replies, I shall be busy when I get home tonight !!

When I say the Sat or DVD take over the TV what I mean is that I can have :-

Sat -> Video (via coax)
    Video -> TV (via coax)

Then if I connect the DVD as stand alone to the the TV, either scart point the DVD default screen comes up straight away, I could try to switch it off and see what happens.

The same used to happen with my Sat if I connected that to the TV using scart which is why I now use just normal coax cables.

Have a good weekend !!

Robert

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I get you, at the dvd screen you should just press the tv channel no. for sky and it will go away! But that is a totally c*** way to have sky connectd, 3 fully wired scarts will solve your problems.

15. Towers

Towers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did have it all wired up with Scart including DVD, VCR, SAT and TV but then when I played a DVD every now and then the sound would distort for a couple of seconds, perhaps it recognised there was a VCR in the system and it was to stop me taping it ?

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Macrovision interferes with video not audio AFAIK, sounds more like a dodgy disc or a connector not pushed fully home. Not directly to do with the method of connection. Everyone's got both, they can't make it impossible to watch because you own a VCR!

17. phil r brown

phil r brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hm.... even more now I suspect at least one ( maybe more ) dodgy scart cables in use here.

Using coax is real stone age now ( let alone the loss of picture quality ) I would suggest a quick investment in some good quality ( fully wired ) scart cables now... you dont need the £30:00 a piece jobbies, but typical £10:00, with gold connections if poss... will be fine.

At a minimum, it will isolate these as a potential cause of your problems... and is never a wasted investment.

phil