TV, VCR, DVD, NTL BOX, XBox + HiFi...how to?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by frosch411, Jan 4, 2005.

1. frosch411

frosch411

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello dear experts,

I count on your expert knowledge as I'm a pretty novice on all this cabling.
    I tried the search and the FAQ but was not really happy with the answers found.

The aim for me would be to have the sound of all hardware run through the HiFi with nice pic quality too. I am unsure if one of the switch boxes (can be manual like this one) can do the trick ? [​IMG]

Here are my components with their connections and then the current set up:

Indoor Aerial

TV: Proline 20N1
    Back: SCART1 AV1 RGB ; SCART2 AV2 ; Aerial Socket
    Front: Yellow, White, Red

VCR: Tevion MD 8950
    Back: SCART1 VCR/DEC ; SCART2 TV ; Audio out ; RF in + out
    Front: Yellow, White, Red

NTL Cable Box:
    Back: SCART1 VCR ; SCART2 TV ; Antennae ; TV ;

DVD: Tevion DVD 3000
    Back: SCART ; Audio out ; Digital (opt+coax) ; S-Video out ; Video out ;
    Component Video Out ;

XBox:
    UK standart modell

HiFi Philips MC 50
    Back: Digital out ; AUX/CD-R in ; SubWoofer out ;

Current Set up:

Indoor Aerial --> NTL Box Antennae

TV Scart1 AV1 --> VCR Scart2 TV
    TV Scart2 AV2 --> DVD Scart
    TV Front YWR --> XBox (cable was supplied with XBox)
    TV Aerial Socket --> NTL Box TV

DVD Audio Out --> HiFi AUX/CD-R in

I hope it's clear, please don't hesitate to ask for further details.

Currently with this set-up I can:
    - record with VCR from NTL Box
    - hear sound from DVD Player on the HiFi

I would like to hear sound from all the components (VCR, DVD, TV, NTL, XBox) permanently through my HiFi. Would the above mentioned switch box allow this? How would I have to cable the components up?
    I am not interested in recording DVDs to Video.

ANY information is greatly appreciated. :lease:

Thank you very much :blush:

Greetings :hiya:
    frosch411

P.S.
    If you have any better alternative in cabling this mess up please don't hesitate to post your opinion :thumbsup:

2. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may almost be cheaper to buy yourself a cheap or 2nd hand amp and use it as the audio hub for all your gear!

Seriously, there are lots of amps getting cheaper and cheaper. Have a look around or even do the e-bay thing and see what you can get for around the same price as your switch box! At least then you'll get a remote with it :laugh:

Good luck, sounds like you've got the basic theory under control though. If you're really set on a switch box, then make sure you research how many signals can be rerouted between ins and outs at the same time, that way you can send a SAT/Sky+/other signal thru to your TV while you're recording stuff on your Vid and vice versa.

CfP

3. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    One way would be:
    1. DVD's SCART & NTL Cable Box's SCART2 TV connected via a JS Technology Master Scart Switch (or equivalent) to the TV's SCART1 AV1 RGB input. Ensure both the DVD & NTL Cable Box are set to output RGB.
    2. VCR's SCART2 TV connected to the TV's SCART2 AV2.
    3. VCR's Audio out connected to the HiFi's Aux/CD-R in.
    4. XBox connected to the TV's front yellow, white & red connectors.
    5. NTL Cable Box's SCART1 VCR connected to the VCR's SCART1 VCR/DEC.
    6. Aerial connected to the VCR's RF in.
    7. VCR's RF out connected to the TV's Aerial socket.
    This would allow you to hear sound from all the components through your HiFi & maximise picture quality for both the DVD & NTL Cable Box.

Another way would be:
    1. DVD's SCART, NTL Cable Box's SCART2 TV & XBox connected via a Triton Automatic Scart Control Centre (or equivalent) to the TV's SCART1 AV1 RGB input. Ensure both the DVD & NTL Cable Box are set to output RGB. You will need to obtain an XBox RGB Scart cable.
      [*]VCR's SCART2 TV connected to the TV's SCART2 AV2.
      [*]VCR's Audio out connected to the HiFi's Aux/CD-R in.
      [*]
      NTL Cable Box's SCART1 VCR connected to the VCR's SCART1 VCR/DEC.
    2. Aerial connected to the VCR's RF in.
    3. VCR's RF out connected to the TV's Aerial socket.
    This would allow you to hear sound from all the components through your HiFi and maximise picture quality for the DVD, NTL Cable Box & XBox, but may require you to buy more items.

Good luck.

4. frosch411

frosch411

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ Green Bars and CfP

Thanks for your swift reply. Very much appreciated.:thumbsup: :smashin:

In all honesty I posted my thread also in another forum ( :blush: ) and got a reply with the following suggestion:

Grab yourself one of these First:
    Scart Switch Box

Remove all current connections.

Now, Take a SCART lead from the NTL 'TV OUT' socket into socket B on the Scart switching box (shown above).
    Take another SCART lead from the DVD player 'TV OUT' socket into socket C on the Scart Switching box.
    Take a SCART lead from the VCR (i'm not sure which socket to suggest) to the Scart Switching box.
    Take a SCART lead from the output on the Scart Switching box to AV1 on the TV. This ensures RGB-Quality picture on all three devices. Then Take a red/white phono lead from the far right connectors on the SCART switcher to the Hi-Fi.
    Connect the XBOX to the back of the TV using the SCART adaptor supplied with your Pack if you want a more secure (and tidy) cable routing.
    To record from the VCR, use the 'Record' Buttons on the front of the SCART switchbox (which link the devices inside to the VCR scart lead which can send the signal back down into the VCR for recording)

Aerial lead: from ceiling to back of TV

I would actually favour this way as it wouldn't set me back as much money as the other suggested two switchers (I'm only a student :rolleyes: ).
    Can you actually suppport this suggestion too or should I rather invest more money into the automatic switchers and opt for convenience?

Thanks
    frosch411

5. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Few points:
    1. Make sure that the scart switching box you mention is RGB compatiable - some cheap ones aren't.
    2. VCRs don't output RGB, the best they will do is S-Video (if an S-VHS VCR), so there is no point in connecting your one to the TV's AV1.
    3. The XBox does (I think) output RGB so you would benefit from having its signal going into the TV's AV1.
    4. The Triton isn't really that expensive - £30.

6. papaclio

papaclio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have purchased a SLx 8L loft distribution box and wonder if any you guys could help

Loft box is designed for Sky tv distribution with LB in
    Downlink out and uplink in

question is
    can I treat telewest digital the same as Sky ?

7. papaclio

papaclio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    link for SLx 8L diagramhttp://www.beststuff.co.uk/slx8l.htm