TV USB Ports Question

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ko0bf4c3, Apr 14, 2016.

1. ko0bf4c3

ko0bf4c3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I came across this forum tonight and I'm just looking for a bit of info really. I've just bought a new TV (LG 42LF561V) and it only has 1 USB port sadly. I found an old 4 port USB hub in my desk and have plugged it in. It's powering my Optical to RCA converter for my sound system. I also have an android TV box that is powered by a 5V 2000mA adapter but the power lead is a USB lead aswell kinda like a iPhone lead/plug deal. I have plugged the android box into the hub briefly and it boots up and seems to work. Would I be fine to have it powered via the TV USB port on the hub as well or am I best buying a mains powered USB hub for it?

I just don't want to damage MY TV in any way, any info would be great.

Thanks people.

Dan.

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    The manual for the TV will tell you the maximum power output of the port. If you overload it for any period of time, it could damage the TV, so worth a check.

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,395
    I'd go with an external psu for the hub to be on the safe side.

4. ko0bf4c3

ko0bf4c3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys, I've had a look at the manual and it says "For external USB HDDs, it is recommended that you use devices with a rated voltage of less than 5 V and a rated current of less than 500 mA." I'm glad I never just left it plugged in now! - I just hope when I buy a powered one it works with the TV, i've seen mixed posts online about certain hubs not working on TV's because of a driver problem.

Thanks again, Dan :)