1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Upscaling

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Bluestraw, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Bluestraw

Bluestraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry if this is not the right place to post the question, but hopefully someone on this forum will be able to help!

I am very soon going to buy a high-end 32" LCD (not totally decided yet), and I'm a little confused about upscaling... Maybe I misunderstand, but from what I can tell this process converts a 480i source to 720p - and can be done by certain DVD players, but also a LCD internally converts everything to 720p in order to display it.

I was wondering - in the high-end LCDs (e.g. Philips 9986), is it necessary to have a DVD player to do this, or does the TV do a good enough job with its internal upscaling. All help MUCH appreciated :lease:

2. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that Toshiba sets upscale internally and do a very good job of it. Sharp are also very good.

3. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    All LCD TVs upscale the incomming signal to the native resolution of the LCD panel. I can not remember the exact resolution of the Philips but it is something like 1280 by 936. So if the TV receives a 480i signal it upconverts this to the native resolution of the screen. This is what the Pixel Plus 2 system is for. The only exception with the Philips 9986 is that it does NOT upscale 720p signals. It uses a smaller part of the screen to do a pixel to pixel mapping.

The decision as to if you need an upscaling DVD player or not depends on the quality of the upscaler in the player compared to the one in the TV. At least if you get an upscaling player you get the chance to compare the two and see what you like.

Hope this helps

4. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know of any DVD player / recorder that upscales to anything other than 720p / 1080i (standard HD resolutions). And there are VERY few LCD panels that has a matching native resolution. So any output from a DVD player - whether upscaled or not - would still have to be scaled by the screen (or not fill the screen).

If you are really concerned by the scaling performance, you would really need to look at getting a dedicated scaler that can output the native resolution of the screen.

That said, I don't really have a problem with the scaling of the latest generation Samsung screens (bearing in mind that isn't a comment on any other screen - I simply haven't seen them to have an opinion), so I wouldn't say that you have to spend huge money. But that's only something you can determine for yourself by going and having a look at a few.

5. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Toshiba 37WL56's paperwork says it is designed to work best with 1080i signals.

6. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is probably not a good idea to buy a tv without a good internal upscaler, because it is still needed for all other content than DVD.
    The Philips Pixel Plus 2 upscaler is quite good. The new 9830 model is claimed to be even better.

Scaling to 720p or 1080i in the player and then scaling again in the TV to the panel resolution does not seem an attractive option to me.
    You can consider buying a player that outputs progressive (576p) without scaling. But with the Philips 9986 it kind of limits your options, as there is only one input that accepts that signal and it is also the PC (DVI/VGA) input. Depending on what you want to use the TV for, you might want to reserve that input for something else and connect the DVD to a SCART input.
    In that case, there is no option for progressive scan or upscaled inputs.