• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TV Upgrade

notascoobie

Novice Member
Hi all
I currently have a 49 inch Samsung KS8000 which I have been extremely happy with. I feel however it is now getting a little long in the tooth and it might be time to replace it.
I am limited to a maximum size of 49 inches. What would be a good replacement for this TV? If possible I would like the best possible picture quality that improves on my current TV. I will not be connecting a Pc or games console to the tv, and it will be used solely for watching TV via sky Q, and streaming from Netflix and Amazon Prime. I am happy to look at all alternatives from other manufactures available in the UK.
Thank you in anticipation.

Regards

Notascoobie.

tvdavid

Prominent Member
the LG CX 48 inch TV but the 55 inch is a cheaper price but shame its to big.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Your set is pretty good even now and manufacturers are pushing the best tech into their 55" or above. Are you sure you can't squeeze in a 55" as 49" is limiting. The CX is a great set, especially for the HDR gaming performance.

Dodgexander

LG CX OLED or Sony A9. At a push the Sony XH9505 may be a small upgrade. Your limit of 49" makes it hard to find a good value high end TV nowadays and 2017 was the last year Samsung even had high end TVs at 49". Now they fit there higher end models with 60hz panels.

Consider also buying at a better time than now. Black Friday or later.

What is it that you are unhappy about with your current TV?

notascoobie

Novice Member
Hi again guys - thanks for the responses.
I have to say I really like the sound of that LG CX OLED at 48 inches, it seems to be a fantastic tv if a little on the pricey side!
The only issue I have with my current tv is that when watching dark scenes there is quite a lot of blooming occurs if something bright appears in the scene. Other than that its hard to fault.
As you say its difficult to find anything of a similar size that would actually be an upgrade, but the LG seems to fit that criteria.
Once again thank you for the recommendations.

tvdavid

Prominent Member
the blooming will be gone on the oled hope you manage to find one in the sales I want the 55 inch soon or the 65 inch but I don't think it will go under £1.5K also like the XH95 but that might have blooming but hear its a good tv.

notascoobie

Novice Member
Been researching the OLED options a bit more and I’m now wondering if the panel may be too reflective for where I would be positioning it. I’ve attached a picture of my existing telly, and this is where the new one will be going. It’s very close to a window, although I do swing it out about 25 degrees when viewing. Just as an aside, my viewing distance from the panel is about 2.5m, could I move up to a 55 inch in the same position without it looking ridiculous or dominating the room? Opinions appreciated please.

Attachments

• 133C2900-58AF-4EB8-8DC4-20F57D5BB6F7.jpeg
    133C2900-58AF-4EB8-8DC4-20F57D5BB6F7.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 32

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Been researching the OLED options a bit more and I’m now wondering if the panel may be too reflective for where I would be positioning it. I’ve attached a picture of my existing telly, and this is where the new one will be going. It’s very close to a window, although I do swing it out about 25 degrees when viewing. Just as an aside, my viewing distance from the panel is about 2.5m, could I move up to a 55 inch in the same position without it looking ridiculous or dominating the room? Opinions appreciated please.

I believe oled are better with refections than many LCDs but any television next to a window will struggle. Are you not able to move it within your room? Always go bigger these days if you can.

Dodgexander

could I move up to a 55 inch in the same position without it looking ridiculous or dominating the room?
Make a cut out from cardboard or paper using the length and height dimensions of a 55" to see. Its very subjective, some people have 85" TVs in their living rooms and think it looks fine and some people think bigger than a 32" dominates the room.

One thing is for sure, if you want the very best TV for fighting glare you have no option other than to shop at 55" or larger. The Samsung TVs only have the best filters on the larger models.

Other TVs like OLEDs do decently with reflections, as do higher end LCD TVs from other manufacturers. The question is always 'how bright' and also the kind of content you view on the TV during the day. Most people are fine with any mid range or up TV nowadays, they are concerned because they are using existing TVs that were made before HDR was a thing, and therefore they are a lot dimmer. Even a budget TV like the U7Q will fight glare more than good enough for most people.

If you plan to watch HDR during the day, you should definitely get an LCD TV.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom