Tv upgrade - worth paying extra for OLED?

Supahoopsa65

Novice Member
Reaction score
Really want to upgrade my very old 32' TV for a modern smart TV.

Interested in a LG OLED TV that is on offer in Curry's ATM. It's reduced to £1100, but I'm not put off by the price.

BUT I only have Freeview TV with the standard HD bbc channels and therefore I probably won't get the best out of an OLED TV

So do is it worth buying OLED or do I just go for a decent smart TV?

Any advice?

Check out the sony 48 inch OLED if you think 55 inch is too big for you, but trust us, just watching HD on an OLED is superb, plus you could subscribe to Netflix and watch their content from your telly in glorious 4K HDR and Dolby vision, There is also plenty of 4K demo's on youtube you can watch for free.

Absolutely.

My first 4k TV was a Panasonic LED. It felt like a downgrade compared to my Plasma.

But then I got an OLED in 2016 and have bought two more since. The picture is just so good.

I've only had an OLED for a couple of weeks but can honestly say that it is the best tech investment I've made since deciding to switch to using a smartphone when the iPhone 3G was released in 2008.

Even HD looks absolutely outstanding on it, with the right video settings.

Check out the sony 48 inch OLED if you think 55 inch is too big for you, but trust us, just watching HD on an OLED is superb, plus you could subscribe to Netflix and watch their content from your telly in glorious 4K HDR and Dolby vision, There is also plenty of 4K demo's on youtube you can watch for free.
I have that Sony OLED and it looks amazing even with just a Freeview HD source. Love it.
Not bad sound for a TV either although I use a 5.1 SS system for films etc I happily use its own speakers for News and casual viewing.

Oled Will give you an experience you will not believe. Freeview is fine and free catch up services like bbc have uhd channels (dark materials for example)
But still, you need to try a Disney or Netflix at uhd and hdr to get full potential from the oled TVs…worth a try and you can find good introduction deals.
Once you also try streaming, everything changes and I hardly watch normal tv beside the news…same for family.

For a very high end LED you have a light for about every 2.6 square inches (500 total on a 55 inch TV) for a OLED you have 8,294,400 lights spread across the screen.

The viewing angle which is practically unlimited on a OLED was a big seller for me.

I find SDR picture quality and motion (200 times faster refresh rate than a LED) for sports to be exceptional on my CX OLED.

Last edited:
How are OLED TV's with Sky Q viewing? I've read from some on here that Sky Q programmes don't look good on OLED's. We watch all our TV via Sky Q so Im hesitant to buy an OLED.

How are OLED TV's with Sky Q viewing? I've read from some on here that Sky Q programmes don't look good on OLED's. We watch all our TV via Sky Q so Im hesitant to buy an OLED.
Not the case. I mean the compression of dark areas, so called macro blocking, is the worst of all platforms that I know on sky but the last few generations of Oleds handle it in their stride so it is all good.

Go for it.

Oled Will give you an experience you will not believe. Freeview is fine and free catch up services like bbc have uhd channels (dark materials for example)
But still, you need to try a Disney or Netflix at uhd and hdr to get full potential from the oled TVs…worth a try and you can find good introduction deals.
Once you also try streaming, everything changes and I hardly watch normal tv beside the news…same for family.

I find Apple and Disney 4k/hdr significantly superior to Netflix/Amazon. I suspect they are streaming at higher but rates then the latter two.

Even my wife has noted it unprompted, when we watched something on Apple TV.

I find Apple and Disney 4k/hdr significantly superior to Netflix/Amazon. I suspect they are streaming at higher but rates then the latter two.

Even my wife has noted it unprompted, when we watched something on Apple TV.
Yep. Only difference is that I will not pay for apple tv for sure. You get one year free when buying their products and just watch some movies I got from them.
Disney is a must have now…can be had for 5,99 if you are with o2. Perhaps even lower.

Netflix has gotten expensive but a must have for us. Amazon pays for itself if you use Amazon prime and order via Amazon often.

All this gotten a bit expensive but all I had to do was cancel sky rip off…and I saved lots of money

Yep. Only difference is that I will not pay for apple tv for sure. You get one year free when buying their products and just watch some movies I got from them.
Disney is a must have now…can be had for 5,99 if you are with o2. Perhaps even lower.

Netflix has gotten expensive but a must have for us. Amazon pays for itself if you use Amazon prime and order via Amazon often.

All this gotten a bit expensive but all I had to do was cancel sky rip off…and I saved lots of money

Yep, this fragmentation of streaming services is getting ridiculous. They keep going like this and they will drive us all away and many to piracy.

Unfortunately if you’re into PL football Sky have got you. Once you’re paying for Sky sports, very little extra to get the rest (I cancel and resub, so never pay above 50%). Plus I tag on Netflix as it’s cheaper getting 4k Netflix that route then direct.

Then some “smart” ass decided Sky’s PL deal was anti competitive. Fair enough, but clearly they didn’t have a clue when they came up with the answer. If they made the PL sell every game to atleast two providers that would have benefited the consumer. Splitting packages just means we have to sub to another service. So I’ve ended up with Virgin Maxit bundle, as that’s the cheapest way to get BT sport for PL and CL, by adding it to my broadband.

Then they split it further by selling PL games over Xmas to Amazon. But fortunately my wife’s a perennial student so I can get Prime student. And the additional benefits soften the blow further.

Apple TV has so little content I’d never pay for it. But one or another of our devices is being upgraded, so get it thrown in that way.

Disney plus I had for a year via my cousins sub. Kids didn’t watch a single thing. Few months after he cancelled, low and behold they wanted to watch Frozen and a few other things that were only on Disney. So I used the club card deal to get 3 months sub. They watched it a few times and now it’s off the menu. But a month after the sub finishes I’m sure they’ll find another reason they need it and lighten my wallet again.

It really is becoming ludicrous.

Not the case. I mean the compression of dark areas, so called macro blocking, is the worst of all platforms that I know on sky but the last few generations of Oleds handle it in their stride so it is all good.

Go for it.

Thanks, so would normal Sky Q HD channels look ok on OLED?
If I bought an OLED I would no doubt upgrade my TV subs to 4k, but would be nice to know that general watching of normal Sky Q channels would still be good.

One of main reasons I upgrade to OLED was because, as a film fan, I got annoyed at blacks rolling off at the sides of the screen, common in other technology. With OLED switching off corresponding areas when registering as black, they are just that - black. No rolling off at the sides. So black, Spinal Tap could use it as an album cover.

The Panny GZ950 is among the best money I have spent, and I've been a home cinema enthusiast for about 30 years. When I first tested it in my light-proof HC room, when the disc was bringing up the menu, the screen went totally black and plunged everything into absolute darkness. I panicked for a few seconds, but the menu came up and I duly went for to change a soiled pair of underpants - front and back.

Thanks, so would normal Sky Q HD channels look ok on OLED?
If I bought an OLED I would no doubt upgrade my TV subs to 4k, but would be nice to know that general watching of normal Sky Q channels would still be good.

HD channels on Sky are absolutely fine (for what they are). The main issue is with poor compression algorithms in use by Sky and those affecting near black performance but as I said current gen Oled deal with it better than ever before so you will be grand.

Dont expect BD near blacks quality but you will be fine.

I have C6 and C9 65" at home and progress made is space of 3 generations between them in this regard is astonishing and making the problem, other than some extreme examples, mostly virtual.

HD channels on Sky are absolutely fine (for what they are). The main issue is with poor compression algorithms in use by Sky and those affecting near black performance but as I said current gen Oled deal with it better than ever before so you will be grand.

Dont expect BD near blacks quality but you will be fine.

I have C6 and C9 65" at home and progress made is space of 3 generations between them in this regard is astonishing and making the problem, other than some extreme examples, mostly virtual.
Thanks for confirming that.

As things stand I'd like to get the Panasonic JZ2000 when they come down in price maybe early next year. Just the question of 55" or 65". We currently have a 55" TV which we sit at from about 8-10ft away which feels about right, but I would like to go bigger.

We currently have a 55" TV which we sit at from about 8-10ft away which feels about right, but I would like to go bigger.

I have a 65" I sit about 8.5 ft from and am looking to upgrade to a 77".

It is in TV/Media room though. I have a 50" in the lounge but rarely use it, I'm having to use it just now as my 65" went phut the other day and I'm not paying full retail for a 77" OLED I know will be getting discounted come Black Fri/Xmas, so I'll make do unless I can find a refurb from Sony with a good warranty.

My LG 55 inch CX £1099 it's the best TV l've ever owned can't see myself ever going back to old LCD, even the top of the range QLED Samsungs suck way too many problems.

Good LCD/ LED TV's are way overpriced just as well buy a OLED, also OLED TV's are a lot lighter / thinner then LCD's in the bigger sizes 77 inch +

Next TV is going to be a 77 or 83 inch OLED sometime in 2022, Sony X95J in 85inch needs to drop £1000+ then maybe worth buying £3799 is a joke price now.

Of course if your on a budget you can by a cheap LCD/ LED but it's junk compared to a OLED.

Last edited:
@Supahoopsa65, get at least a 55" if you can, it is a big step-up from 32" (triple the viewing area) but you will quickly get used to it. 65" and up may require a bit of consideration regarding distance from screen but, so long as viewing height/angle/position are sensible you will simply find it more immersive. Just be aware, the bigger the TV, the bigger the big black mirror in your room from a decor standpoint. 55" should be a starting point though, in most cases.

Regarding OLED's, they are great, I have an LG CX65 and the picture quality is outstanding. But the recent Samsung QLED's are also excellent, with a large number of individually dimmable zones, exceptional brightness capabilities and great black levels.

One thing to be aware of is that OLED's have instant refresh, so you may notice stutter on standard content at 60fps or less (most TV & film). Not everyone is 'sensitive' to it but I am, so I have motion smoothing on pretty high. With LCD screens (such as Samsung QLED), this isn't an issue, since the pixels do not refresh instantly, so blend naturally from one frame to the next. Some say it is desirable to have non-instant pixels (I would be in that camp with the current lack of 120fps content available) but others are pleased to have such responsive technology, for gaming especially.

I am just about to go with an 83" Sony A90J OLED after over 14 faultless years with a 52" Samsung LE52F96BD LCD, just hope my ticker can take the HDR experience!

I wanted to stay with Samsung and looked at an 85" QN900A 8K QLED Flagship but the 4K OLED actually looked better than the 8K and I saw them at multiple showrooms and different times, I was really surprised.

I am just negotiating the best deal with a couple of suppliers, having got this 83" down to £4995. So I am very excited to hopefully move over to 'The Dark Side' well, inky blacks and great highlights.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom