TV Upgrade options

hughesie27

Currently have a 55" cheap Toshiba on the wall (think it was about £400 2 years ago). I have a 55" Samsung NU8000 (2018) in the bedroom which I use for gaming/PC monitor. It's a brilliant TV. Nice and bright.
Hoping to upgrade the living room to a 75" soon and have an ideal budget of £1300 but scope to stretch to £1600ish if it makes a big difference.
I've narrowed down to these options. Quite a wide range as you will see. From what I gather I'm not really going to get much benefit from any of them with HDR content. I am intrigued with how much of a step up QLED is compared to the standard LCD panels. Real pain I can't actually go and view them in shops at the moment.
Prices are all John Lewis with 5% discount I have.

65" LG OLED BX £1520
75" Sony X9005 £1520
75" Samsung Q60T £1235
75 Sony XH8096 £1140
75 Samsung TU8000 £855

I've included the OLED because my understanding is this will likely be the go to choice for me. I just don't know if I want to sacrifice that extra size for the panel however. So would love to hear so arguments for and against.

Included the TU8000 as it's the equivalent to the NU8000 I already have however doesn't review as well as the others, but equally it's also a lot cheaper.

My thoughts are currently targeted towards the Q60T. Which I know from here is not thought to be great value for money. However RTings give it a decent 7.3/10.

Are prices likely to fall shortly or are TV price changes fairly random outside of Xmas/Black Friday?

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Of all those, the only ones that are HDR capable are the LG and the Sony just scrapes in but isn't great.
HDR is going to be harder to avoid as we move forward and having a non-capable TV isn't just a case of not getting the benefit of it. If you read through the forum you'll see lots of posts of people complaining they can't see any detail in dark scenes or the black screen is all murky and more grey than black and washed out. This is because they're watching Netflix or Prime with a TV that isn't HDR capable.

The Samsung Q60T is overpriced and underperforms. QLED is marketing, it's still an LCD panel it just has a filter on the screen which the Sony also has, but it's called Triluminos instead.

Prices.

It's hard to say. This is not a normal year. Supplies are short for a lot of electronic goods so there's no reason to go mad with the discounts.
Normally you'd see further, small, discounts over the next couple of months and then as the new TV ranges launched they'd hit their bottom, but by then supplies can also be sold out so while waiting for the best deal you can miss out completely.
75" TVs don't normally receive the kind of discounts 50-65" TVs do as they're less popular

If you want a bargain, have a look at the Sony Refurbs.

You can purchase a 5-year warranty for them at an extra cost. If you want a good HDR capable TV then look for the XH9505. The store is generally restocked on Thurs/Fri but you have to be quick, you have no time to come on and ask questions as by the time they're answered they're gone, so ask any questions in that thread beforehand.

hughesie27

Of all those, the only ones that are HDR capable are the LG and the Sony just scrapes in but isn't great.
HDR is going to be harder to avoid as we move forward and having a non-capable TV isn't just a case of not getting the benefit of it. If you read through the forum you'll see lots of posts of people complaining they can't see any detail in dark scenes or the black screen is all murky and more grey than black and washed out. This is because they're watching Netflix or Prime with a TV that isn't HDR capable.

The Samsung Q60T is overpriced and underperforms. QLED is marketing, it's still an LCD panel it just has a filter on the screen which the Sony also has, but it's called Triluminos instead.

Prices.

It's hard to say. This is not a normal year. Supplies are short for a lot of electronic goods so there's no reason to go mad with the discounts.
Normally you'd see further, small, discounts over the next couple of months and then as the new TV ranges launched they'd hit their bottom, but by then supplies can also be sold out so while waiting for the best deal you can miss out completely.
75" TVs don't normally receive the kind of discounts 50-65" TVs do as they're less popular

If you want a bargain, have a look at the Sony Refurbs.

You can purchase a 5-year warranty for them at an extra cost. If you want a good HDR capable TV then look for the XH9505. The store is generally restocked on Thurs/Fri but you have to be quick, you have no time to come on and ask questions as by the time they're answered they're gone, so ask any questions in that thread beforehand.
Thanks for that. Regarding HDR I wasn't saying I wanted to avoid a TV that was capable, pretty much all are these days? I just meant that at my price point I reckon the HDR will be fairly poor. Some helpful info there, thanks. Hopefully I see some movement on the prices next month some time. As you say its a risk as TVs from 2 years ago just seem to disappear.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Regarding HDR I wasn't saying I wanted to avoid a TV that was capable, pretty much all are these days? I just meant that at my price point I reckon the HDR will be fairly poor.

All 4K TVs are HDR compatible. Few are capable. It's basically OLEDs and upper range LCDs. So that's the Samsung Q80 or Sony XH9005 at a minimum and even then they're average, not really having enough brightness.

And that's the problem, it's not a case of just having poor HDR, it's watching HDR on a non-capable TV can be really awful, to the extent you're far better off avoiding HDR sources, but that's getting more difficult now and even more in the future. You don't want to be thinking of changing this TV in a couple of years.

Dodgexander

Sadly there are not great 75" choices in the UK if you want decent HDR + keeping a low budget. The Sony XH9005 is the best you'll find, but only has 750 nits peak brightness so will fall short of better HDR TVs, especially if the room isn't very dark.

I saw another post in a different thread which I think was yours, but I'll repeat it here in case. I think you need to move up to the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q80T to get an improvement over what you're watching. If you downsize to 65" an OLED like the BX you mention will also be better.

hughesie27

All 4K TVs are HDR compatible. Few are capable. It's basically OLEDs and upper range LCDs. So that's the Samsung Q80 or Sony XH9005 at a minimum and even then they're average, not really having enough brightness.

And that's the problem, it's not a case of just having poor HDR, it's watching HDR on a non-capable TV can be really awful, to the extent you're far better off avoiding HDR sources, but that's getting more difficult now and even more in the future. You don't want to be thinking of changing this TV in a couple of years.

Thanks for that. So do you think the LG OLED I listed would handle HDR to an acceptable standard? I'm half verging towards accepting the smaller 65" if it means I'm going to get a 2 or 3 times better viewing experience compared to a larger similarly priced Samsung or Sony. 65" isn't small after all.
Sadly there are not great 75" choices in the UK if you want decent HDR + keeping a low budget. The Sony XH9005 is the best you'll find, but only has 750 nits peak brightness so will fall short of better HDR TVs, especially if the room isn't very dark.

I saw another post in a different thread which I think was yours, but I'll repeat it here in case. I think you need to move up to the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q80T to get an improvement over what you're watching. If you downsize to 65" an OLED like the BX you mention will also be better.
Cheers for your replies. I'll consider the OLED. It's really just going to come down towhere I am happy making a sacrifice as I can't quite justify getting up to the £2000 range. I might be lucky however and see a decent discount soon.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
IMO

Either the LG65 BX or the Sony XH9505 I mentioned from the refurb store @75" if you can't quite stretch to a new one. There's no guarantee they'll have one though, it's potluck.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom