TV unit mod to fit XTZ 12.7 sub

freeflyer

Thought I would show my latest handy work.

This is the original TV unit...

sydney_tv_high_gloss_white_48901w.jpg

I began by modelling the TV unit and sub in a 3D CAD tool, so that I could work out the shapes and dimensions etc. The two drawers on the left were removed to fit the sub behind a speaker grill frame...

TVUnit.jpg

Finished result...

IMG_8027.jpg

IMG_8029.jpg

Original speaker grill (black)...
IMG_8042.jpg

The sub is isolated from the TV stand, it sits on a raised platform using the rubber feet that were fitted to the sub (I could not find square chrome feet anywhere that were the correct height)...

IMG_8032.jpg

IMG_8038.jpg

The frame is on concealed hinges to give access to the front of the sub (to access the foam inserts in the ports)...

IMG_8030.jpg

Chamfer on top of the frame to match the chamfer on the top of the drawers...

IMG_8039.jpg

I was going to get the frame manufactured but they quoted £150 and didn't seem interested in the job so I decided to try it myself.

The frame was made using MDF and a palm router, which I then covered with gloss white vinyl wrap (normally used for cars).

Attachments

• IMG_8034.jpg
    IMG_8034.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Nice job :)

I did something a bit similar with an old sideboard - I cut the legs down, and replaced the side cupboards (where you have drawers) with simple frames covered with speaker grill cloth and put my left and right speakers behind along with the other AV kit (DIY speakers with crossovers built while they were in situ). It worked well for me too. I didn't have to worry too much about isolating the speakers from the cabinet as I just stood them on some foam.

The other good thing about the speaker grill cloth is that it kinda looks and works like a smoked glass door, and remotes for the AV amp and other kit I had behind still worked OK and you can see the LEDs etc on the kit, so can see what the volume is set at and what kit is on and what is off.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom