• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question TV under £400 in a bright big room?

Kodbel

Novice Member
Hi,
I am looking to purchase my first 4k TV. It will be placed in a lounge which is very bright and will be better suited with wide viewing angles. Since my budget is limited I am flexible on size.
After looking at the best value tv thread, I am wondering if I should restrict myself to - LCD TVs with wide viewing angles, but worse contrast, blacks and dark room/scene performance ;
(which are IPS panels?) or VA will do?

I note that UE50NU7400 50" is available for £400 on ebay (crampton and moore) with 15% off voucher code. Same store has LG 50UK6500PLA 50" for £382 and Sony KD-49XF7073 for £424 (slightly over budget but can manage)

Thanks for any advice.

Dodgexander

You'll want an IPS panel if you want wider viewing angles, its downsides won't be so noticeable in bright viewing enviroments.

But I'd also want a TV that copes will with reflections, a good anti reflection filter will help a lot in bright rooms. Not just that, but also a TV that can get bright enough.

The best at that with a limited budget would be from LG. BUT not the 50" models such as the one you linked since it is using a VA type panel.

I would look instead at 49" models from LG: LG TV: Smart TV, 4K, LED, OLED con Schermo Curvo | LG Italia

I assume the product lines you get a similar to Italy, you can search for the 49" variants there. The models are remarkably similar with picture quality but the UK7xxx range comes with slightly better colours and the LG magic remote so may be worth the extra.

Analysis

Banned
Hi,
I am looking to purchase my first 4k TV. It will be placed in a lounge which is very bright and will be better suited with wide viewing angles. Since my budget is limited I am flexible on size.
After looking at the best value tv thread, I am wondering if I should restrict myself to - LCD TVs with wide viewing angles, but worse contrast, blacks and dark room/scene performance ;
(which are IPS panels?) or VA will do?

I note that UE50NU7400 50" is available for £400 on ebay (crampton and moore) with 15% off voucher code. Same store has LG 50UK6500PLA 50" for £382 and Sony KD-49XF7073 for £424 (slightly over budget but can manage)

Thanks for any advice.

You need an IPS panel with a good nit count to combat the brightness of the room due to your need for wide viewing angles.

The problem is your budget won't get you anything that will be good enough, even the UK7700 only has 450 nits:

LG UK7700 Review (55UK7700, 65UK7700)

It does have a good anti reflection filter so this might help.

50" models will be around 300-400 nits and will all be VA panels for straight on viewing.

I think the 49" SK8000 or SK8500 would need to be looked at on clearance pricing in just a few months, you should be able to get one of these for around £600 but LG are always overpriced so it's about timing at the end of the day.

LG TVs - 2019: Reviews and Smart Features

General Buying Tips

Dodgexander

450nits is fine for normal TV watching, its quite some brighter than most LCDs of old and 3-4x brighter than some Plasma TVs.

its only with HDR where 450 isn't going to cut it.

If you could go for a little more higher range the SK series would be better though.

Analysis

Banned
I've just rechecked and those SDR figures are much lower than thought for normal daytime tv on those models, about 250-300 nits, that's where it will become a problem, hence why I suggest a tv with more nits to combat maybe something like the XF85 or XF90 at 49" which has a good nit performance across the board for both SDR and HDR, these are both VA for straight on viewing but your budget would need to be increased.

Sony X900F Review (XBR49X900F, XBR55X900F, XBR65X900F, XBR75X900F, XBR85X900F)

If you have a lot of sunlight like I do in the Summer due to how north we are then blinds are a must, you can still get reflections from the back windows if you have two to the side like I do with a tv like mine which doesn't have a very good anti reflection filter and does show a lot of reflections, it seems Samsung panels like I have in my XE70 do this a lot, also lower range models from others as well so like Dodge has said in his guides the more you pay the better anti reflection filter you will get.

I also found this out on a model from 2017 the Samsung MU6500 which was curved and even worse with reflections, I went to check it out as it was on offer but I went with the XE70 in the end, I will definitely spend more next time for a better anti reflection filter and 120hz native panel just like I had with my Sharp which was so much better with the sunlight in the room.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom