TV under £1200

Bv09

Novice Member
Hi all,

I am planning to have my first tv ever as I didn’t think I use it until the lockdown started. I plan to use chrome cast or fire stick most of the time and will probably not watch anything live.
I need it for my bedroom Wall and 55” looks right for the variety of tvs available and return on investment. But if there is anything better I don’t mind going up to 60.
the only thing I care about is picture quality and sound (but I won’t mind spending up to £250 on a sound bar if I get better picture quality for the price. I will be watching it from my bed so viewing angles are not a big issue but I’d still like a bright display (1000cd/m), at least 120hz refresh rate and a 10 bit panel as I was told that’s best for my needs unless someone says otherwise.
I am not sure how hdr10 and hlg works but would again like to make sure that I am not missing out on the crispness if the video quality.
I have always liked oled but not sure if that’s best for my room (Would prefer something with a screen burn warranty if possible?) as qled and high end IPS or LCD screens could always be better. In essence I want to watch Planet Earth 2 as it was intended but on a budget of 1200ish And if I can play some iPad games on it would be a bonus.
Ambilights have also interested me as I feel like that will enhance the experience. I had the following in mind and I’d like your suggestions/recommendations for these please.
LG-b9/c9? (Do they still struggle with wrgb)
samsung - q90?
Philips - ambilight series (not sure the model)
sony - does anyone still recommend it?

Jester1066

Hi all,

I am planning to have my first tv ever as I didn’t think I use it until the lockdown started. I plan to use chrome cast or fire stick most of the time and will probably not watch anything live.
I need it for my bedroom Wall and 55” looks right for the variety of tvs available and return on investment. But if there is anything better I don’t mind going up to 60.
the only thing I care about is picture quality and sound (but I won’t mind spending up to £250 on a sound bar if I get better picture quality for the price. I will be watching it from my bed so viewing angles are not a big issue but I’d still like a bright display (1000cd/m), at least 120hz refresh rate and a 10 bit panel as I was told that’s best for my needs unless someone says otherwise.
I am not sure how hdr10 and hlg works but would again like to make sure that I am not missing out on the crispness if the video quality.
I have always liked oled but not sure if that’s best for my room (Would prefer something with a screen burn warranty if possible?) as qled and high end IPS or LCD screens could always be better. In essence I want to watch Planet Earth 2 as it was intended but on a budget of 1200ish And if I can play some iPad games on it would be a bonus.
Ambilights have also interested me as I feel like that will enhance the experience. I had the following in mind and I’d like your suggestions/recommendations for these please.
LG-b9/c9? (Do they still struggle with wrgb)
samsung - q90?
Philips - ambilight series (not sure the model)
sony - does anyone still recommend it?

Hi...

Samsung have just released their 2020 QLED line-up. As s result you can get their flagship 55" Q90R from last year for on average a £800 reduction.

I genuinely think you'll struggle to find a better bang for buck TV for around £1200.

Samsung tv's come with a 10yr screen burn guarantee (I believe), and 6yr parts and labour from Richersounds is included. They are also offering bundle discounts if bought with a soundbar.

If you wanted the 2020 Q90T, Samsung - and possibly other retailers - are currently offering £300 cashback if bought before 30th June 2020.

This reduces the Q90T from £1799 to £1499

The Q90R(2019) is almost identical to the new q90T (2020 model).

Samsung (to complicate things further) also sell the Q95T - this is technology wise identical to the Q90T, but has a One Connect box (Like the Q90R) - so costs a bit more. This also has £300 cashback.

Hope this helps! 🙂

*Edit: Planet Earth will look the bees knees with a QLED imo

Last edited:

Dodgexander

First of all, QLED is just Samsung's marketing for their high end LCD TVs. It is not a different display technology like OLED, and instead relates to how their TVs display colours. Every LCD TV manufacturer has a similar method to QLED, but like Samsung, have their own names for it...LG have Nanocell for example.

So when you shop, don't treat a Samsung QLED as a different technology, they are LCD TVs still.

The easiest way to narrow down which TV to buy would first to be to choose which technology is more suited to you, LCD or OLED.
See this link:

And choose which is best for your own conditions and your preferences.

Once you have decided on a technology, then it makes your choice a lot easier.

I'd avoid any newly released 2020 models when shopping. They have just been released and will cost a large premium that is never worth the gains (sometimes regressions) they make year to year.

If you do decide on an OLED and you think you will be susceptible to OLED Burn In Risk then one possibility is buying your OLED from John Lewis with their insurance plan also, you pay extra but it covers accidental damage including burn in. Take the time to understand how burn in can occur and whether you think you'll be at risk first though, as I don't believe anything you have mentioned so far puts you at risk at all. Nonetheless, if you are going to buy into a technology, its important you understand how it works, and how to avoid it.

Jester1066

First of all, QLED is just Samsung's marketing for their high end LCD TVs. It is not a different display technology like OLED, and instead relates to how their TVs display colours. Every LCD TV manufacturer has a similar method to QLED, but like Samsung, have their own names for it...LG have Nanocell for example.

Sorry I did know this and should of made this clearer in my post, so thanks for highlighting this. Will help the OP and others looking at the thread when deciding which technology etc. 🙂😊

I'd avoid any newly released 2020 models when shopping. They have just been released and will cost a large premium that is never worth the gains (sometimes regressions) they make year to year.

Good advice and is the reason I mentioned the Q90R from 2018. Which is on my shortlist for my next TV upgrade - since most places are offering a £800 discount - £1299 is a cracking price imo!

Boxerman33

Novice Member
I got. Q90R 55” from Crampton & Moore 2 weeks ago for £1250 delivered with 5yr warranty, great tv and great deal. Will be haggling on a 65” version for my playroom this week

Last edited:

Jester1066

I got. Q90R 55” from Crampton & Moore 2 weeks ago for £1250 delivered with 5yr warranty, great tv and great deal. Will be haggling on a 65” version for my playroom this week

@Boxerman33 - You got a cracking deal there. Richersounds near me has them for £1299 ' 6yr warranty for the 55".... I'm sooo tempted to take the plunge and buy. But I've just splurged over 1.5k on a new AVR and Atmos speakers + another £600 on an Audiolab 6000a to run the front floor standers!

Richersoundds love me atm... the other half, not so sure! 🤣😆😉😉

Boxerman33

Novice Member
In the current climate most companies are prepared to negotiate as long as you’re reasonable ( just realised mine was a 6yr warranty) and i’m a previous customer which helps. Hoping to get the 65” for £1500 ish. Oh don’t worry, I’m with you on the spending, this lockdown has cost me nearly £3.5k in coffee equipment alone 🙈

Jester1066

In the current climate most companies are prepared to negotiate as long as you’re reasonable ( just realised mine was a 6yr warranty) and i’m a previous customer which helps. Hoping to get the 65” for £1500 ish. Oh don’t worry, I’m with you on the spending, this lockdown has cost me nearly £3.5k in coffee equipment alone 🙈

Looks like I might be phoning the "Mistress" aka Richersounds on Monday! 🤣🤣😉😉

Jester1066

Hmmmmm now perhaps a soundbar is needed 🤔
If its for the Q90R - This is it's perfect partner!

Bv09

Novice Member

So when you shop, don't treat a Samsung QLED as a different technology, they are LCD TVs still.

The easiest way to narrow down which TV to buy would first to be to choose which technology is more suited to you, LCD or OLED.
See this link:

And choose which is best for your own conditions and your preferences.

Once you have decided on a technology, then it makes your choice a lot easier.

If you do decide on an OLED and you think you will be susceptible to OLED Burn In Risk then one possibility is buying your OLED from John Lewis with their insurance plan also, you pay extra but it covers accidental damage including burn in. Take the time to understand how burn in can occur and whether you think you'll be at risk first though, as I don't believe anything you have mentioned so far puts you at risk at all. Nonetheless, if you are going to buy into a technology, its important you understand how it works, and how to avoid it.
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. I did see that link before posting and I apologise deeply for not posting the link, but I did try to ask the question explaining my dilemma based on those findings.
To quote about:-
1) viewing angles - I mentioned it to be in my bedroom in front of my bed.
2) screen burn - I did mention about my oled preference at the risk of screen burn.
3) TVs from 2020 - I did mention the model numbers from previous years in my suggested brands.

I did not know about QLEDs, and I thank you very much for explaining that. This actually suggests I don’t really care about Oled or LCD if the picture quality of my content looks better in either.

I hope I did not offend you and I thank you again for your response As it also showed me that I am not in the risk of burn in.

It also helped in explaining I should just go for the Q90R 😇

thanks everyone.
Will post a picture when it is delivered.

Jester1066

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. I did see that link before posting and I apologise deeply for not posting the link, but I did try to ask the question explaining my dilemma based on those findings.
To quote about:-
1) viewing angles - I mentioned it to be in my bedroom in front of my bed.
2) screen burn - I did mention about my oled preference at the risk of screen burn.
3) TVs from 2020 - I did mention the model numbers from previous years in my suggested brands.

I did not know about QLEDs, and I thank you very much for explaining that. This actually suggests I don’t really care about Oled or LCD if the picture quality of my content looks better in either.

I hope I did not offend you and I thank you again for your response As it also showed me that I am not in the risk of burn in.

It also helped in explaining I should just go for the Q90R 😇

thanks everyone.
Will post a picture when it is delivered.

Look forward to seeing the pictures! :)

Bv09

Novice Member

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 41BB01CF-2BF8-4399-82F7-69B9C0211CA2.jpeg
    41BB01CF-2BF8-4399-82F7-69B9C0211CA2.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 67

Jester1066

The latest video from AVForums