TV turns regularly itself off interrupting watching. Is it the TV or the HDMI switch?

echolane

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I’ve been living with this problem of the TV turning itself off in the middle of programming for sometime. It can happen while watching TV via DISH DVR, or when watching a DVD on my Oppo DVD Player, or when using my Roku Ultra. I finally called Sony TV and they think it must be the HDMI switch. I have a 5x1 HDMI switch which allows me to bypass using the too few and difficult to access HDMI ports on the TV and since the problem occurs on all of my video sources, it is likely the switch. Or the TV. They say that other devices can affect the TV. Anyone else have this problem? How did you resolve it?

Last edited:
Sounds really simple (so apologies in advance if you've ruled this out). Do you have a sleep timer/Auto standby function set in the TV settings?

Thanks for the thought. Sony has used remote technology to go on my TV. They have turned off all possible settings that would allow the TV to turn off.

I think you need to troubleshoot a little by temporarily removing the switch and, if possible, all the connected devices from the equation.

If the problem remains, it's the TV. If the problem is resolved then it's the switch OR one of the devices. You can then try the devices one at a time until you find which is causing the issue (note, it could be doing it even when you're not actively watching it.

Probably not what you want to hear if the ports are difficult to access but seems like the only way to be sure where the problem lies.

To: CatsWithThumb,
Your are so right. I already know the TV quits when I use the TV, when I use the Oppo and when I use the Roku, so it is probably something else. That leaves the switch and the TV as possible culprits. I need to remove the switch. If the TV continues to shut itself off then its the TV, and if not, it’s the switch. I’ve not wanted to do this test because it’s a lot of work, but at this point I don’t have any other options. I’ll have to do it.

My Sony did this a couple of times.

Not sure why, but i think i turned on and off some of the settings on the tv. I think they were the HDMI CEC setting?

My Sony did this a couple of times.

Not sure why, but i think i turned on and off some of the settings on the tv. I think they were the HDMI CEC setting?

The Sony tech turned off ANY possible setting that might cause the TV to turn itself off. It took him several minutes and I never saw so many settings flash by as he went through everything. So it still might be the TV shutting itself off but if so it is not related to any setting.

Mine hasn't done it since.

I did switch mine off at the mains too.

The Sony tech turned off ANY possible setting that might cause the TV to turn itself off. It took him several minutes and I never saw so many settings flash by as he went through everything. So it still might be the TV shutting itself off but if so it is not related to any setting.
You are assuming phone level tech support did the job correctly ?
That's one hell of an assumption , in my experience , phone level tech support are the lowest rung on the ladder , mostly kids straight out of school reading off cue cards.
If they were any good , they wouldn't be doing phone level tech support !

Google how to find your HDMI CEC settings , and make sure power on/off over CEC is set correctly.
Note that "power on /off over CEC " is the only way the switch could be said to be at fault.

Also by default , all TVs turn themselves off after a set time if no remote buttons are pressed. Make sure these are off , dont rely on someone saying its off.
It pays to be sure.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom