TV Tuner With Vigin Media Issue

Kuffdam

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I wonder if someone can give me some advice please.

I've recently picked up a new PC running Windows Vista on it. The machine has a Peak DVB-T Digital TV PCI Card installed and I'm trying to get the tv running on it.

I've tried the ariel and the picture was rubbish so as I'm a Virgin broadband and phone user, I can have a cable box in the room with the pc for free.

It was installed today and running perfect on the tv but not on the computer. I am using Hypermedia Centre and I have tried all sorts of connections to the pc but none seems to give me a picture. The card came with a 9 pin s-video which goes into the back of the PC and has a connection on it for 4 pin s-video and 2 phono leads for sound. I have connected an s-video to scart lead to this and into the box on the tv scart.

Media picks up a channel on search but no picture is displayed. I have tried using different cable but with no joy, yet when I connect a small camera using the lead picture and sound are fine.

Any ideas how to get this working?

Thanks

You say an "S-video to Scart lead"? That sounds the wrong way round. Surely you need a Scart to S-Video i.e. Scart out not in?

And does your Virgin box definitely have S-video out?

regards

Brian

The scart is coming out the back of my virgin vbox and its the s-video 4 pin into a small connector which is 9pin s-video into the back of the PC

Yes I understand that, but is the cable an S-Video to Scart or a Scart to S-Video?

You say S-Video to Scart - if it's labelled as that it's probably designed for feeding a source into a Scart input, not the other way round.

regards

Brian

ah ok

I didnt know that could be a problem

Its a cable I already had so I didn't just buy it

So no packaging to check

maybe I'll pick up a new lead from Maplin then and give that a try

You can normally unscrew the Scart connector and take a look - usually by unscrewing the cable clamp. A cable for input will have the centre core of the luminance going to Pin 20, a cable for output will have it connected to Pin 19. You can find a diagram of the pin layout here

regards

Brian

did it work then mate? i have a similar issue. i want to connect my virgin box to my pc, which has a tv tuner (not sure which one :p) it has a 9 pin s.video connection (never knew they existed until i recently was baffled by it being on my pc lol)
anyways, after a little research, i've come to undetstand the whole vivo conecpt. and now i find myself here, nd i'm thinking, what will i need to make the connection. i just need to know though, did you manage to get it working?
thanx in advance:)

I have a Samsung VBox, and it is connected to a dvd recorder.
Everything works as it should.

I have a usb dvb-t tuner card, and i am trying somehow to connect it to the Vbox to record some tv shows direct to the laptop, rather than having to put them on dvd first.

I have run an ariel lead from both the dvd recorder rf out and the Vbox rf out, but the pc doesn't find any signal.

When i connect the pc dongle to the roof ariel lead i get a perfect picture and about 70 stations.

Is there anyway to get the signal from the vbox to the pc?

I suspect the cheap tevion usb dvb-t tuner card wasn't the best choice but i wanted to see if i could get any picture on the pc.

One way that i think might work is to connect a scart out to the vbox that has the red yellow and white leads on the other end, then i would have to convert them back to a standard areil lead, however it's a lot of faffing about and then my dvd recorder would be out of the loop

turns out, the pc came wit a 8.pin s-vid cable, which allowed rca (red yellow n red) aswell as standard s-vid (4-pin) to be connected. the tv tuner card would handle the audio and video, so i simply needed to connect the cabl box via scart. ofcourse i needed a scart to rca/s.vid adaptor (with output! not just input!), which is on its way. another thing that is also needed, is the windows reciever and ir transmitters. without which, you wont be able togt past a cetain stage of setting up the tv signal. this can be purcahsed from ebay for £20ish. pm me if you need more details. i'm certain hat this works now though, not sure how i'm going to tune the channles in, but i'll fgure it out, n keep you posted. T

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom