TV tuner Telescopic Aerial

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by kar999, Jun 3, 2005.

1. kar999

kar999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a portable DVD player with built in analogue TV tuner. (Orbit PTDVD 768S). The unit is pretty good for the money but the TV picture could be better when using the telescopic aerial (it's fine with a external aerial plugged in).

The telescopic aerial is quite short at only about 18 inches (45 cms) fully extended. I could quite easily remove it and screw in a longer aerial from Maplins. My question is...

Is there an optimum length for a telescopic aerial for UHF TV reception? Or is it simply a case of longer is better.

I could plug in a set-top indoor aerial but that means having to carry around another item.

2. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How dod you get on Kar999?

I've just bought the Orbit divx DVD player/TV tuner. I am delighted with it (apart from the picture quality using the telescopic aerial). Like yourself, the picture is impressive using the loft aerial so I am looking for an aerial to use in the car.

I am looking at the 4 way in-car aerial's at www.tgincar.com what did you end up doing?

3. kar999

kar999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I purchased this from Maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=864&doy=3m8 for only £3.99

I unscrewed the bottom swivel section which was superfluous and used the telescopic part to replace the Orbit telescopic section. Its just the right length fully retracted to not extend beyond the width of the unit. I do find however, that the aerial doesn't have to be fully extended to get a reasonable picture. At least it gives you some scope to alter the length more so than the original fairly short aerial.

Having said that the picture quality is still not so good as with a larger external aerial.

Did you find a suitable aerial for your car Geordie?

4. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kar999

I got a loan of a set-top aerial to try and see what the picture was like - it was a lot better than the retractable one. Its not ideal, so I will give the one you got a try.

Do you just unscrew the one that's already in it?

5. kar999

kar999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just unscrew the very small horizontal silver screw. The thread on the Maplins one is the same size. The quality improvement isnt so good as when using an external aerial but for only £3.99 you cant really complain.