• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TV Tuner Help needed

mickersg

Hi everyone, i'm thinking about getting a tv tuner for my pc, but havent been able to clarify one little detail through looking on the net.

If i buy a freeview PCI tv tuner (looking at a hauppauge ones for about £40), is it just a case of plugging this into the ariel socket in the wall and it will work?

I'm not too sure if the tv ariel in the roof is a 'high gain digital ariel'. We receive freeview tv fine through the box with the tv.

If someone could clarify this, that would be great. Just dont want to spend money and it be wasted.

Cheers

Mike

Edit: Running Vista 64 on a decent spec pc

Last edited:

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
is it just a case of plugging this into the ariel socket in the wall and it will work?

Well you have to open your machine to put the card in and load up the WinTV software then plug into the aerial socket.

I'm not too sure if the tv ariel in the roof is a 'high gain digital ariel'. We receive freeview tv fine through the box with the tv.
TV reception is a black art depending on the area you live in. Also, if you are in a problem area, you can't just put a cheap splitter in the aerial lead and run it to your PC. If you get analog TV reception clearly on all 4/5 channels then you should have no problem with your PC TV. If you have mast head amps and distribution boxes everywhere you might have problems. Either way when analog gets switched off, they'll pump up the digital and everybody will be happy!

If you can, buy a dual tuner card. (I've got three tuners).

Some tuner cards are more stable with 32bit.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom