Tv tuner for laptop

GCDB

Standard Member
Hi,
Have some money towards a Tv tuner card/usb for my laptop.
I gather you can get a usb type or a pcmcia card type.Which is better?
Any recommendations?Also do some work well with a medium digital signal?
Thanks
Gav

nwgarratt

I can highly recommend the Freecom USB Freeview adapter. It does need a good signal (just like other TV adapters).

It is now just £35.97(I paid £43).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ALAWQ6/qid%3D1142699582/202-6401472-1488666

I use Yukumo WDM drivers (same a Freecom) so, I can use Showshifter with it. The Freecom drivers just allow the use of the Freecom software which is fine for a laptop.

It has a EPG but no digital teletext (only available in rest of Europe).

The adapter records the programmes to the hard disk in mpeg 2 format.

Mylo

Novice Member
I'd definately recommend the Freecom, with a decent external ariel feed it is superb :thumbsup:

woody67

Novice Member
The Freecom is very good, but the supplied aerial is not much good unless you are living next to a transmitter. Give it a good signal and no problems

Also look at the MSI Mega Sky 580 whch is similar, and only £30 inc from ebuyer

woody67

Novice Member
nwgarratt said:
I use Yukumo WDM drivers (same a Freecom) so, I can use Showshifter with it. .
Have you got a link to the drivers? The link on the Yukomo / German site had been removed last time I looked

nwgarratt

woody67 said:
Have you got a link to the drivers? The link on the Yukomo / German site had been removed last time I looked
Afraid not. It took me two days to find them. I have them saved. It is only a few k in size so I have attached it.

The Freecom ones have to be uninstalled in device manager first plus remove the freecom inf files in windows/system. Then load the Yakumo drivers as normal after a reboot. When you insert the adapter. Point the hardware wizard to the Yakumo driver. It needs to load a loader and a capture driver.

Attachments

monkeynuts

Can anyone recommend a good 12v amplified aerial suitable for the Freecom for sensible money?

I found one last week somewhere but can't find it on the net now!!

GCDB

Standard Member
Thanks for responses,any others which would pick up a good signal from portable aerial?
If not will probably try the freecom

Gav

B

bigdavie0

hi nwgarratt,i have removed the freecom drivers from device manager but can you tell me how to remove the inf files please(never done anythink like this before)
cheers m8:thumbsup:

nwgarratt

bigdavie0 said:
hi nwgarratt,i have removed the freecom drivers from device manager but can you tell me how to remove the inf files please(never done anythink like this before)
cheers m8:thumbsup:

You don't really need to. I missed a step out. Before you unistall the drivers it would tell you what inf file is uses. I then went to C:\WINDOWS\inf (hidden) and found the right inf file and deleted it. It stops the same driver being installed automatically when you attach the adapter. The files are only small.

If you have a unused USB port use that instead of the one you used before as it should not install the old drivers automatically. I would just attach the adapter and when the hardware wizard appears. Point the wizard to where the unzipped files are (keep all files in one folder). It will bring the hardware wizard up twice as it installs both drivers.

B

bigdavie0

hello again nwgarratt
i have tried what you have said,put the dvb stick into a spare usb port pointed the found new hardware wizard to the new drivers but when the new drivers are nearly installed it comes up with an error saying (files needed)
the file westlake.dll on(unknown)is needed,any ideas
cheers:eek:

nwgarratt

bigdavie0 said:
hello again nwgarratt
i have tried what you have said,put the dvb stick into a spare usb port pointed the found new hardware wizard to the new drivers but when the new drivers are nearly installed it comes up with an error saying (files needed)
the file westlake.dll on(unknown)is needed,any ideas
cheers:eek:
That is ok that happened to me on one computer (it didn't happen to me on my laptop). Just unplug the adapter and re-insert it in the same port. It will carry on installing.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Bump

... :D May contain rambling. Sorry, does contain rambling

Investigating and thought about spending 70 notes on a fancy Avermedia pcmcia DVB-T card for my soon to be here laptop, however...

On one amazon review, for another USB TV Tuner, the guy wrote that it doesn't matter whether it is USB or a fancy more expensive pcmcia one, as it all depends on a good aerial. But on another forum it was insinuated that as pcmica is faster than usb the former is a better choice for a laptop tv tuner? :confused:

Also, as I'm going to uni, I'll need a indoor aerial. I don't think the uni will let me use an outdoor one...(I know you need good reception for indoor to be useful), 1 2 3?

And what about the Hauppauge brand for laptop tv tuners?

nwgarratt

It doesn't matter if it is PCMCIA or USB in terms of speed. It is the speed and memory of the computer that is important. A good aerial/signal is the most important.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Thanks...does make sense. And I suppose usb is more widely supported whereas pcmcia is in the process of being phased out for expresscard...

Anyway, I presume for an indoor aerial, any will do as it's hamstrung by the fact it won't be an outdoor one? Hmmm...I wonder if the uni will let me climb the roof? :D

nwgarratt

If you have to use a indoor aerial. Get one with a booster and you may have to move the aerial about for different stations.

These USB devices do use a lot of memory. Even though the Freecom one recommends a PII 800 and 128MB of RAM. I haven't had any success with any computer less than 512MB and 1ghz speed processor. IT will cause stutter and maybe lip sync. Also, it is not possible to multi task and watch at the same time wihtout plenty of memory.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I'm getting a dual core laptop with 2gb ram :)

i'm a gamer :D

Mr Grumpy

Novice Member
I've been looking at getting one of these but was put off when I read that it required a usb 2 socket. My old(ish) l/top is a 1.8Ghz P4-M with 512 Mb ram but only has usb 1. Is it worth buying one or will it be a waste of time ?

:)

blackhammer

I'm looking to get one of these, and have a quick question regarding where the booster plugs into.

Because of where my computer is positioned, I may well use the USB ports on the front on the PC, does the booster just connect to the tuner itself??

Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom