1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV tuner for a plasma screen help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tcp/ip, Aug 16, 2004.

1. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hello Everybody,

I have just bought a second hand Version 5 panasonic plasma screen all in all i am delighted with the screen the only problem is that there is no tv tuner in the spec and i am sure the offical one from panasonic would be very expnsive. Can you recommand a external tv tuner box to me. Ideally the input would except normal cable tv and the input that i would like to use as its free on my plasma would be the VGA input option.

Is there anything like this availaible,
    TCP/IP

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    tcp / ip

You mention cable TV, so presumably you already have a cable TV receiver. Why do you need an additional TV tuner. Provided that the cable box can output RGB (and so far as I am aware it was only the very early ones that couldn't) all you need to do is convert the output to VGA via a J S Tech RGB to VGA converter (more details in my sig). A VGA to VGA lead completes the package and you are then using the best input.

Piers
    home Cinema Engineering

www.homecinemaengineering.com

3. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hello Piers,

Thanks for replying. The problem is I have sky digital in the house and I also have standard NTL calble TV. I am based in Ireland and the NTL uses standard coax cable coming from the wall socket there is no decoder box of any sort. So i am looking for some sort of external TV tuner that i can simply plug the cable into and then view through the VGA input. The reason I want to do this is because I still want to be able to watch UTV and Channel 4

Thanks,
    Leigh

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Leigh,

Sorry if I am being thick but I still don't understand why you need the cable feed at all. Both Channel 4 and UTV are on Sky digital (90% certain even in Ireland - correct me if I am wrong).

Piers

5. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hello Piers,

They are not availiable in ireland that is the problem. Also the setanta sports channel is free on NTL cable but in Ireland on Sky digital you have to pay for it so that is why i still need my cable TV.

Would this do me do you think
    Acer TV Tuner

Thanks,
    TCP/IP

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Neveo do a tuner, also you could use a DVD recorder like panny DMR-E55, a VCR (reconmend using an S-VHS deck in this case). a Zinwell ProV is another option.
    Probably the best with a PW5 panny as it adds extra inputs to the screen by using the PC VGA socket and giving tou an extra S-video input, and an extra composite. You keep a VGA input as it has loop thourgh for VGA and its out puts all signal as progressive video
    ProV+ also has teletext and costs around £120-£150 in the UK so a lot less than £400-600 for the dedicated panny tuner that then wipes out your video board slot!

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Leigh,

Thanks for putting me straight about Ch4 and UTV not being available for Sky customers in Ireland. The cable TV has me intrigued. All cable systems that I have seen have had a decoder box of some description in the client's house. You say you don't.

Just a thought - you don't happen to live in a building of multiple flats where the landlord has installed the cable system and the signals are then piped to each individual flat? That would explain it but maybe I am off target!

Piers

8. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    No piers i am in a normal house.
    I have also seen this one what you think
    Keene TV tuner

PV200 PROGRESSIVE SCAN TV CONVERTOR

Thanks,
    TCP/IP

9. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Leigh,

I am hesitating to say go for either of the tuners that you have mentioned because I am still not clear how your cable TV is working and don't want to give you duff advice. Before you got the Panny plasma you had a conventional TV? What did you do to change cable channels? TV remote, some other remote?

Piers

10. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    i used the normal remote from the TV thats all

I have ordered the following from Keene Electronics

VIVID PROGRESSIVE SCAN VIDEO TO XGA SCALER; Ref : VTB100

Seems to do everything I want

11. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Leigh

Keene's gear is good.Hope it works OK for you. I still don't understand how your cable TV is working! Maybe someone else will see this thread and put me right.

Piers

12. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    My friend is selling his official Panny version 5 tuner box and cables (which includes an addition connector cable 15m long).

If you are interested, please PM me.

StooMonster

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Piers Chill man you obvisously dont deal with cable that often. as part of the liscence to run cables in the street, The government (aka Maggie) made it a term of the cable liscence that the *free* Channels, 1-4 at the time (1-5 now) are carried on the cable infrastructure,to remove the need for roof top aerials like in the US A decoder is required for #PAY channels but not OA channels, In ireland they may have even ditched roof top aerials in certains areas in favour of cable. a stanard PAL tuner is all you need.

tcp/ip howcome you went for a keene unit not the Neovo or ProV+???

14. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Horny,

I learn something new every day - thanks. Living in deepest rural Shropshire we don't have cable here so I have never had the chance to play with it. Many of my customers have had cable and in every case they also had a set top box. Just to clarify are you saying that if you plug the cable coax direct into a TV then you get "normal" TV and cycle through the channels by altering the RF frequency? The thing that had me stumped was the reference to Setanta. A pay channel on Sky but it sounds like it is included in the "normal TV" package in Ireland.

Regards

Piers

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the channels are RF modulated so plug your cable feed into TV aerial socket and away you go, with analogue cable some TV tuners will pick up "extra Channels" ie should need a decoder but you can get a fuzzy okish pic without the analogue decoder, which was just a tuner anyway (with a filter). With ntl (our local cable provider) the STB RF out also carries 1-5 and Box output modulated so there is very little nee for an aerial. Telford aint deepest rural shropshire (I'm an old wolf BTW)