TV Tuner Card

happhhitachi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks......Help :lease:

I know my way around a PC, but I have no experience or knowledge of TV tuner cards and need to sort one for my Dad. So its important!

P4 2.8Ghz: 1.5Gb RAM: 8x AGP card with either 128 or 256Mb, think its an ATI card not sure on model (2nd user not seen the unit yet) will be using a new SATA 230Gb or 500Gb hard disk: SoundBlaster Audigi: Win XP Pro.

My Dad already has an external DigiBox that can be used to feed the card if it doeent have a digital decoder on board. Current solution is an external box via USB2 and its rubbish. I think this needs a PCI card based solution.

1 tuner will do but would like facility to record to HD.

Ideas/suggestions/observations :lease:

I've recently ordered a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500 Dual digital DVB-T PCI TV Tuner card from ebuyer as it has some good reviews all over the place.

I got mine from ebuyer for just over £50.

Choccy

Couple of questions if I may:

Have you got the card and are you happy with it?

Any issues with the software, is it stable with all features working corectly?

Am I correct that this recieves digital terestrial TV and has the decoder built in, so it simply connects directly to the ariel?

Thanks, value your opinion.

I've recently ordered a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500 Dual digital DVB-T PCI TV Tuner card from ebuyer as it has some good reviews all over the place.

I got mine from ebuyer for just over £50.

It is a dual digital tuner so you can record and watch a seperate channel.

I have received it yet, but I did some research before ordering. I have had a hauppage before and the software is ok but I am going to use it in Vista with media centre and see how it works out.

When I get it I will let you know how it is.

You need to decide if you want the card to recieve Freeview(DVB-T), Cable(DVB-C) or Satellite(DVB-S).

The one choccy mentions is a DVB-T Dual Digital card for Freeview and requires an aerial connected, I have this one and it works well enough although the software is not great. It can be used with 3rd party software however which solves that problem.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom