1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Tuner card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Linbury, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Linbury

Linbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which TV cards can accept a digital cable TV signal rather than (or as well as) the usual analogue co-axial TV signal?

I have a NTL cable modem which is connected to a white box on the wall. I understand that the broadband signal carried on the cable also has a TV signal on that cable. What I was intending to do was to get a cable splitter, and split the signal at the white box on the wall, connect one part of it to my ntl cable modem, and the other part to a TV card in order that I can record programmes using my PC's DVD burner. Will this work?

TIA

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Pretty much any "DVB-C" tuner card would work in this instance.

However, I'd advise you to read the T&Cs of your NTL contract - I suspect they explicitly exclude the kind of configuration you're considering (i.e. non-approved equipment).

Cheers, Carl.

3. Linbury

Linbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice. I'll have a look at the T&Cs.
    Do you know the name/model no./web link of such a "DVB-C" tuner card, as I'm having trouble locating them.
    (I did ask at PCW8rld, but they were as much help as a chocloate teapot.)

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I believe Hauppauge do a Win-TV DVB-C card, but it's not available in the UK since no cable providers permit you to use them (i.e. not illegal to own, but illegal to use in any practical way). I'm not 100% sure, but I think you'll also find that NTL encrypt everything, so unless you could pursuade them to provide you with a CAM and a card, you wont get very far.

You might find life easier if you used the regular NTL set-top box and fed it into a TV capture card.