tv tuner card confusion

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by spaspeckerthedu, Dec 30, 2006.

1. spaspeckerthedu

spaspeckerthedu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys - just a quick question from a noob so please be patient!!

I'm in the process of building my first HTPC and am looking for a dual tuner DVBT card. I've narrowed it down to the Hauppauge Win TV Nova-T 500 MCE/Dual Digital DVBT and the Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Pro PCI. I've spent the best part of 3 days trawling the internet for reviews, info, user experience etc. The problem I've got is various reviews of the pinnacle name it as the Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Pro 2000i - is this the same card as the Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Pro PCI? The reason I'm asking is because the 2000i version of the card gets crap reviews, although both are MCE certified. I've emailed pinnacle support for clarification but no joy. My basic setup is good to I just need to get myself a decent dual DVBT card. Any recommendations, help or info would be much appreciated, but I am limited in my budget!!

2. RSK21

RSK21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30

Hello there,

I can't answer your question specifically but I would say that based on my personal experience I would never purchase another Pinnacle TV card again. I have had two and both have caused endless problems, in addition tech support from Pinnacle has been very poor.

On the other hand I have had almost wholly positive experiences with Hauppauge produtcs - although admittedly have no experience of the one you are looking at.

RSK

3. MSyddall

MSyddall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've installed the 'Hauppauge Win TV Nova-T 500 MCE/Dual Digital DVBT' into an Elonex Bare Bones Media Center PC and it works OK. One thing that caused problems was the Media Center Receiver service not starting, which appeared to be Hauppauge drivers but was actually cured by reinstalling the .NET 1.1 and SP files.

Good Luck

Mike

4. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Hi,

I've got the pctv dvb-t pci (single tuner) card for a week or so and at the moment I would say it is ok. I was looking at the duel tunner as well but I read that it slows up machines like crazy. I have a p4 2.8 and when I am recording my cpu goes to 100% and it takes ages to cancel so I dread to think what a duel one would do. The software is not the best as the epg doesn't seem that easy to use but it records fine and I recorded a few things over x-mas that have come out ok.

Don't know if any of that helps but you never know.

Cebs