TV Too Large For S Series?

Grover2005

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am awaiting delivery of my Xbox Series S console...I had planned on using it with my 55 inch 4K tv, but now some friends are telling me that this screen will look crummy with the 1080p Series S unit... Are they correct or just blowing smoke? Thank in advance for your advice...

Steve in Kansas

Wait for it to be delivered and try for yourself.
I connected my Series S to my LG CX 55" and it looked good to me.

No it will be absolutely fine.

Series S looks great on 55”

Hope not... Mine is landing today and it's going into a 65" 4k oled 😁

The bigger the better!

crazy what some people will say, i have a series X on a new 4k 65 120hz and a series S in the living room on another 4k 65 60hz. some games look identical .

Might want to inform your friends that games can also be native 4K on the Series S so yea they are talking a load of bull.

Looks great on my 55" oled. Upscales to 4K and from my viewing distance I think it looks great.

Series s looks great on my 55”

I am awaiting delivery of my Xbox Series S console...I had planned on using it with my 55 inch 4K tv, but now some friends are telling me that this screen will look crummy with the 1080p Series S unit... Are they correct or just blowing smoke? Thank in advance for your advice...

Steve in Kansas
Be interested to read your thoughts when your s arrives. I'm trying to source a Series X/S i'm only interested in Forza Horizon 5 so i'm wondering if i can get away with a Series S on my 65" CX or be forced into spending the extra £200 for the Series X.

Be interested to read your thoughts when your s arrives. I'm trying to source a Series X/S i'm only interested in Forza Horizon 5 so i'm wondering if i can get away with a Series S on my 65" CX or be forced into spending the extra £200 for the Series X.

I have a 77 inch Sony OLED A9G and sit 12 foot away.
Fed up of waiting for a PS5 or Xbox X, so I reluctantly bought a Xbox S over a month ago.

Must say I’m impressed with the S.
Didn‘t realise the S was so small, it’s also totally silent.
I like the quick boot up times but the massive positive is game pass ultimate. The ability to trial games I’ve previously had no interest in, has been a massive benefit that I didn’t realise.
You are also able to share the game pass between 2 people in different households.

Regards the picture quality on a 77 inch 4K OLED it’s variable.
However even the worse examples the graphic quality is good to very good.
Then there are x/s optimised games where the graphics are excellent on my 77 inch.

Games like Forza Horizon 4, Rally 2.0 and F1 2020 all have fantastic graphics and look impressive on my large tv, they all look like crystal clear smooth 4K graphics to me.

I’ve read several comments about Xbox S is for a 1080P tv whereas Xbox X is for 4K so I was surprised how inaccurate this conclusion is. Suspect it’s a bit like someone talking about cars and coming out with statements like “for motorway driving you need at least a 2 litre engine and a car capable of at least 140 mph”. When in the real world general speeds on motorways are 80mph, so a 1.6 litre engine capable of 110 mph will still do a more than adequate job travelling up and down the motorway.

Last edited:
I have an S and X but my S is on my 1080p TV upstairs. In terms of ‘getting away’ with it that entirely depends. People run Nintendo switches on your TV they won’t look great compared to a SX or PS5 but you can absolutely play the games.

FH5 will be fine on a series S too. More than fine. But if you care about looking at it’s best and rendering close to or at the native resolution of your panel then obviously needs a Series X.

I have a 77 inch Sony OLED A9G and sit 12 foot away.
Fed up of waiting for a PS5 or Xbox X, so I reluctantly bought a Xbox S over a month ago.

Must say I’m impressed with the S.
Didn‘t realise the S was so small, it’s also totally silent.
I like the quick boot up times but the massive positive is game pass ultimate. The ability to trial games I’ve previously had no interest in, has been a massive benefit that I didn’t realise.
You are also able to share the game pass between 2 people in different households.

Regards the picture quality on a 77 inch 4K OLED it’s variable.
However even the worse examples the graphic quality is good to very good.
Then there are x/s optimised games where the graphics are excellent on my 77 inch.

Games like Forza Horizon 4, Rally 2.0 and F1 2020 all have fantastic graphics and look impressive on my large tv, they all look like crystal clear smooth 4K graphics to me.

I’ve read several comments about Xbox S is for a 1080P tv whereas Xbox X is for 4K so I was surprised how inaccurate this conclusion is. Suspect it’s a bit like someone talking about cars and coming out with statements like “for motorway driving you need at least a 2 litre engine and a car capable of at least 140 mph”. When in the real world general speeds on motorways are 80mph, so a 1.6 litre engine capable of 110 mph will still do a more than adequate job travelling up and down the motorway.
I think a big part of it was Microsoft's marketing as they kept saying the Series S was a "1440p" machine and some took that to mean that was its max output but it could do 4K just as well as its big brother, it all depends on the game in question.

I think a big part of it was Microsoft's marketing as they kept saying the Series S was a "1440p" machine and some took that to mean that was its max output but it could do 4K just as well as its big brother, it all depends on the game in question.

Yep when I was looking to buy before Christmas I thought (wrongly) the S could not do 4K. Granted very few games are native 4K it still can upscale to 4K and to my eyes looks great on my TV

I bought my Series S last Tuesday, The Series S 1440p is right on the edge in turns of resolution on my 65" CX whilst Forza Horizon 4 looks okay upscaled to 4K the text is very scetchy. I've pre-ordered a Series X looking forward to playing FH5 on my CX with the Series X.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom