1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV too close to speaker Please Please help

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DaveTee, Jul 6, 2001.

1. DaveTee

DaveTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last week I bought myself a new Hitachi 32” W/S TV and placed it in the very same spot that my old Toshiba 28” with my floor standing speakers placed about 4ft either side as was the set-up with my old TV but…….

After a couple of minutes the top right hand corner of the tube became discoloured which meant that any white part of the picture would look a light brownish colour then I asked advice at the store I bought the thing and they told me that the TV needed degaussing (Sp?) but a friend said it should degauss itself every time is switched on…. can anyone give me advice?

I'm a little worried that my speakers are too close to the TV because I really can't get them any further away from the TV but surely if it was my speakers to blame would the problem not be on both sides of the tube?

If it is my Speakers to blame can anyone suggest a way to shield my front speakers?

Thanks for any help you can give

Dave

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Dave,

Any other magnetic fields nearby other than the speakers. Low voltage light transfomers etc.....

The TV probably does de-gauss every time it's switched on. A strong field may knacker it very qucikly though.

Why don't you disconnect the speaker, remove it from the room for day and see what happens.

Gordon

3. DaveTee

DaveTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually did remove both my front speakers for about 8 hours then switched the TV back on without any improvement even though the speakers were no longer there.

The only other things are my Hi-Fi unit, which is about 6ft away from the TV and my Yammy center speaker, which is placed on the TV stand.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the TV actually switches itself off from time to time, this happens when I switch the TV on for the first time, then I get the Auto sign (W/S mode) flash on then immediately switch itself off even though the timer is switched to off.

Cheers for taking the time to reply to my post

Dave

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave.
    Another appliance that can (v. occasionally) upset a c.r.t. is a central heating radiator.
    If you have no electrical appliances within 6ft of the set (and your neighbour does not have a very large welder on the other side of the wall or a supply authority transformer etc etc then it's quite likely the set is damaged (possibly the shadow mask). In my experience the magnetic "stains" caused by unshielded speakers tend to manifest themselves with strong colour casts unmistakable greens, blues, reds etc etc. I am aware that earlier sets suffered from a syndrome known as "doming" which would cause patches of off-white/light brown at the screen extremities to which overly high levels of brightness/contrast had a part to play.
    If i were you i would return the set a.s.a.p.
    A chap (poster here) called Mr.D is infinately wise on all things t.v i am sure he would tell you to the "n"th degree of what exactly is happening.

SteveEX

5. DaveTee

DaveTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr D. where are you?

Central heating radiator…

It's strange you should mention this as there is indeed a CHR to the right of the TV and immediately to the right of the right front speaker but I hasten to add that the radiator is not in use.

Owen to the fact that my right speaker is within inches to the radiator could it be that the radiator has become magnetised as a result of the speaker's very close proximity to the rad?

I have indeed arranged for the TV to be returned as faulty and have declined the offer of a replacement TV by the shop but I'm still a little worried, as I still have to buy a new TV and don't want the same problems cropping up.

Thank you for you response.

Dave

6. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dave

I had exactly the same problem - and after days!! of moving furniture around I found it to be my DVD player! as soon as I move that away from the TV the satining disappeared, the weird thing is is that this staining has been there for three months - quite severe as well! I thought that it was ruined forever but it's fine now.

What TV stand have you got - try moving it off that.

Hope this helps

7. DaveTee

DaveTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi johna

My DVD player / Yammy A5 / CD player / VCR and pace digibox are all housed in a tower rack which is 6 feet away so I guess it's not that.

Just to test if it was my speakers too close to the TV I hesitantly placed then as close to the TV as possible but surprisingly the problem didn't get any worse so I'm inclined to think it was simply a faulty TV from the start which is why I have decided to return the TV as faulty.

I don't really want to buy the same TV again so I guess it's back to the drawing board as far as choosing a new TV but thanks for your advice along with all the others.

Well done everybody…thank you

Dave