Question TV to replace sony KDL-50W829b

Dirtschmooz

my sony KDL-50W829b has given up the ghost. last couple of years been the spare tv out in conservatory.
Looking for something on a budget of £500 or less. Main use is sky hd but have plenty of 4k content i can stream too. sitting straight on
ideally 55”

Checked the useful threads that @Dodgexander posted and looking at lg55un74 or lg55un8100 as an option.
Anything decent from sony in same pricepoint?

Need to buy now and can’t wait for black friday

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Sitting head on in a bright room probably the Hisense U7Q is your best bet since it can get to around 700nits. Other similar TVs get around 300-350.

The LGs otherwise are also decent options. They use IPS panels, so blacks and contrast is worse than your current TV/Hisense U7Q, Less brightness than the U7Q but good anti reflective properties for cheaper TVs. Differences are here: LG_TV_LineUp_chart_2020_v1.0.pdf

Dirtschmooz

cheers for reply. much appreciated. As it’s only a second set gone for lg508100. Got richer sounds to price match costo plus another £10 off.

Dodgexander

cheers for reply. much appreciated. As it’s only a second set gone for lg508100. Got richer sounds to price match costo plus another £10 off.
Did you buy the 50" or 55" version?

The 50" TVs are very different and won't handle glare as well due to using VA type panels. Whereas the 49/55"models use IPS panels, so handle glare better.

Mind you, your old TV was also using a VA panel, so if you were happy with that you should also be happy with the 50" LG.

More on panel choice here: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

Dirtschmooz

space dictated 50” as max size sadly. I’m sure it will serve a purpose and push out home and away and hollyoaks without any issues. 😀

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom