1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV/TIVO/SAT Connection problems - unresponsive on AV

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Gadgeteer1066, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Gadgeteer1066

Gadgeteer1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the following:
    Toshiba 36ZP18Q television
    Thompson TiVo PVR10UK (unmodified)
    Akai DV-P2500 DVD player
    Sanyo VHR 789 Video recorder
    PACE BSKYB2200 Satellite digibox
    Kameleon 6 in 1 remote control.

I have connected these by following the instructions in the TiVo and Toshiba instructions to the best of my ability (not many words in there, just simple diagrams, but everything seems to be where they should).
    --------------
    My Aerial is connected to the TiVo's RF in socket.
    There is an RF lead going from the TiVo's RF out to the RF in on my VCR. The RF out on the video goes to the RF in on the Sky digibox. The RF Out on the digibox goes to the RF in on the television.

I have no problems with receiving good, clear picture and sound using the above.
    --------------
    I have a SCART lead going from the TiVo's VCR SCART socket to the VCR.
    I have a SCART going from the TiVo's TV scart socket to the television.
    I have a SCART going from the TiVo's AUX SCART to the TV SCART socket on the digibox.
    I have a SCART going from the DVD to the television.

(at some time or another I have tried conecting to SCART 1, 2 and 3 on the TV without any change to my problem).

(I also have an IR control cable going from the TiVo into the Digibox to enable channel changes)
    ---------------
    I have programmed my Kameleon to work everything apart from the VCR and the DVD (just not got around to it and to be honest, seldom use them).

---------------

My problem is the same whether I use the Kameleon or the original remote controls and relates to using the TiVo (my 'must have' piece of kit and used 80% of the time when viewing TV -live or recorded). Here I describe how the problems show themselves using the standard remotes, rather than the customised Kameleon.

If I turn the TV on, most of the time it will show ordinary 'live' tv via the RF signal. On occasion it will start but show a black screen and no sound (usually if the TiVo is recording). To watch 'ordinary TV I have to use the AUX, VCR or TV Standby, I assume to leave the TV's AV mode.

From watching live RF television to watching TiVo I usually press the TiVo button on the remote. Sometimes this doesn't work and I have to use the TV standby or AUX/VCR buttons to get the TiVo feed up on the screen.

When I get the TiVo feed on the television, there is often a long long lag before the sound comes on (70% of the time). This lag can be from 10 secs up to 1 or 2 minutes.

When viewing TiVo, the television controls become very unresponsive. For example, I might be able to get the volume control to display, but to change the volume up or down might work slowly by repeated presses or might not. On occasion, even the volume display fails to come on screen. When I want to change volume, I have to go back the RF feed television, change the volume and then go back into TiVo feed (and sometimes, but not always, suffer the sound lag).
    ------------------
    I previously used the same set up as above but with a Panasonic 32" with dolby pro logic sound and never had any of these probems. With that, I simply pressed the TV/AV button to switch between TiVo and RF feed. No lag, nothing.

The SCART connectors are all standard metal connectors, nothing fancy (as used on the previous set up). I have seen silver and gold metal connectors and wonder whether this might be a problem, or if the problem is more complex?

Any help would be appreciated

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    I've been useing a TiVo since its launch in the UK back in October 2000 and have never heard of this sort of problem. All I can really think is that there is a problem with the TV, as everything worked fine with a different TV. Have you tried plugging TiVo into a different scart socket?
    You could also try disconnecting everything except TiVo and see if that solves the problem. Then start reconnecting everything one item at a time until the problem reapears, then that is the bit of kit that is most likely to be at fault.

Mark.

3. Gadgeteer1066

Gadgeteer1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Mark. Yes I have tried swapping the tivo onto different SCART sockets. Without the TiVo everything runs fine, no lag. It is definitely how the Toshiba and the TiVo are interacting together. The delay is more noticeable when the TiVo is recording in the background. Some sort of conflict somewhere perhaps? I wonder whether there was any device I could plug everything into and then just plug one thing into the TV, but I wouldn't want to loose the use of the Kameleon to some less effective remote.

I have tried everything I can think of to cure this.