TV templates - highly recommended - and may save you money!

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made two templates out of paper for my TV candidate - the JVC DS6, in both 37" and 32" versions. Nice accurate template with the actual screen size inset.

Then it was used as a fun craft activity for me and my little boy. Pic one is the 37". Pic 2 is the 32" - we're going to go for a fruit bowl motif on that one :p

jvc37.jpg

jvc32.jpg

Then you just stick them up on your wall. Although the width of the 37" set is little more than my 30" philips, the image is much larger, and likely too large for the room, even though we sit around 4m away (we may rearrange the sofas, so 4m is the furthest away).

So we'll probably go 32", which'll save some money (maybe enough for a AE700....)

Anyway, the point was that no matter how you umm and ahh, its much clearer with a nice paper template.

richard plumb said:
I made two templates out of paper for my TV candidate - the JVC DS6, in both 37" and 32" versions. Nice accurate template with the actual screen size inset.

Then it was used as a fun craft activity for me and my little boy. Pic one is the 37". Pic 2 is the 32" - we're going to go for a fruit bowl motif on that one :p

jvc37.jpg

jvc32.jpg

Then you just stick them up on your wall. Although the width of the 37" set is little more than my 30" philips, the image is much larger, and likely too large for the room, even though we sit around 4m away (we may rearrange the sofas, so 4m is the furthest away).

So we'll probably go 32", which'll save some money (maybe enough for a AE700....)

Anyway, the point was that no matter how you umm and ahh, its much clearer with a nice paper template.

I see you have taken my cardboard template idea on step further and given your template an image as well - very nice. Interesting conclusion you have reached though. We have always said that we bought the wrong size when we purchased our present 28" Panny widescreen. When we made the templates we said that the 32" template would in essence bring about a situation that we should have had originally i.e. that 32" was just the right size. However, given that we want a more cinematic experience we have both said that 32" is just not big enough and therefore a minimum 37" is what we require. On a point of interest we would be sitting 10 feet from 37" t.v. from three separate locations. I think given the sums of money involved we simply could not justify spending around £1300 for such a small increase in size, when for a further £400 we could go to 37". This would give us an increase in screen size of around 12".

Faust,

I can see your point, but our primary motive isn't a cinematic experience. Its mostly a day to day TV for cbeebies and the odd bit of telly in the evening.

Are you not concerned that the quest for a cinematic experience may compromise 'normal' TV watching (eg Eastenders or the news)?

For the cinematic experience we have a front projector and 96" screen. Still only 480p so far, but I'll upgrade as soon as 1080p comes out at a reasonable price - probably at least 1-2 years off doing that.

My temptation for a larger screen comes from xbox 360 and sky HD. But in a couple of years, once HD has sorted itself out, and both new consoles are around, I may move the 32" into the spare room as a 'gaming' TV, and go for a larger set. But with the amount of SD we'll watch, its too overpowering I think.

My sole reason for wanting a larger panel is 98% normal t.v. with the odd DVD thrown in. As I said previously we have regretted getting something as small as our present 28" CRT almost since the day we got it, and we do not want to go down the "small is beautiful" route again. I intend to buy online so if the set is to large when it arrives then I will simply return it under DSR. I think it better to get larger first though as within a few days you adjust to the large size. Whereas the 32" may look OK on day 1 and day 7 I guarantee by day 14 it will look somewhat small.

hmm, interesting tactic. "well lets just get the big one and if you're still not satisfied we can return it".

How long do you get under DSR? I thought it was only 7 days

richard plumb said:
hmm, interesting tactic. "well lets just get the big one and if you're still not satisfied we can return it".

How long do you get under DSR? I thought it was only 7 days

Depends on the company, some give 7 days, some 14 days, whilst JL give you 28 days. I think though if it really is to large then you will know within the seven day period. As with a large number of items you do quickly adjust. I well remember our present three piece suite, when it was delivered we both looked at each other and said "hell fire" what have we bought! this looks far to large, whereas now it simply looks like any other three piece.

It is and you often get hit with a restocking fee or something similar. The only way to try stuff out without a penalty is go to Argos ;)

Mr_Fantastic said:
It is and you often get hit with a restocking fee or something similar. The only way to try stuff out without a penalty is go to Argos ;)

Or DSG International and Comet etc. no restocking fee there, simply pack it back up and take the item into your nearest store for refund or replacement.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom