TV Suggestions

wogitalia

Hey all, looking to buy a new TV as have moved into a new apartment and don't currently have one. In Australia so prices will be outrageous no matter what and Black Friday isn't really a thing so that's not likely to help, just waiting for a decent price.

Usage - I run a Plex media server, will have a shield connected to stream mostly 4K content, this will be the majority of my media consumption (formats will vary regarding DV, HDR10+ et al). Will also use Netflix and other streaming services and watch sports which being Australia will mostly be in 1080 and a factor other than motion wise. Gaming wise I will be getting a switch almost exclusively for Mario Kart, so not testing the gaming boundaries.

Area - Is a well shielded spot with minimal, if any, glare, will be a 3.5mx3.5m modular couch, the side spot will have a limited viewing angle most likely but will not be used often, still is a minor factor.

PQ - For me the most important aspects are high detail and vivid colours and obviously that it works well with the above usage as far as motion and the like.

Extra - This is probably the biggest factor but I'm only planning on being in this apartment for a couple of years and will leave it as a fully furnished investment. Obviously can take the TV with and put in a cheap one but how much change is expected in the technology in the next couple of years? Would I be better buying a serviceable option now and splurging in a couple of years or are we not expecting much change?

Peripherals - Planning on running the top end Samsung soundbar for audio, being an apartment a high end audio system is just not practical unfortunately, shield as mentioned, Switch as mentioned and potentially a Blu-Ray player or next gen console in 12 months or so but not a heavy gamer by any means.

Size - This is the other big factor, 75" will easily fit but I'm not willing to spend for the OLED in this size, it's just a ruthlessly inefficient spend so obviously if I go this big it would mean the cheaper options. 65" brings the OLED into play.

I'm leaning towards the LG CX, from what I can see it's the consistently best performing TV on the upper end of what I'm looking to spend but happy to be convinced to spend less if people think that the lesser TV can meet my demands.

If you need any further info let me know :)

silent ninja

Worth starting with Dodge's wonderful guide. You can figure out which tech is best suitable and whether you actually want top end or mid tier products (mostly separated by quality of HDR which sounds like it's important to you).

The CX is indeed wonderful, as are other similar OLEDs. LCD wise Sony XH95 great too and well priced.

Once you have a couple of choices in mind, I'm sure those much more knowledgeable can help you iron out the differences and understand what's best for you.

Dodgexander

If you want support for all HDR formats Philips or Panasonic are your friends. They may have different model numbers or availability in Australia.

Here's a comparison of all the models in the UK:

If prices are high it may be an idea to revisit the purchase at a later time if buying a new 2020 model, or instead seeing there's still discounted stock of last years 2019 models.

Last years best buy guide: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

wogitalia

Worth starting with Dodge's wonderful guide. You can figure out which tech is best suitable and whether you actually want top end or mid tier products (mostly separated by quality of HDR which sounds like it's important to you).

The CX is indeed wonderful, as are other similar OLEDs. LCD wise Sony XH95 great too and well priced.

Once you have a couple of choices in mind, I'm sure those much more knowledgeable can help you iron out the differences and understand what's best for you.

Have had a pretty thorough look through them and really just trying to work out if those mid tier listings are good enough for what I want, most of the talk at the moment is understandably around the next gen console support so just really wanting to be locked into the path I'm on.

Cheers for the advice!

If you want support for all HDR formats Philips or Panasonic are your friends. They may have different model numbers or availability in Australia.

Here's a comparison of all the models in the UK:

If prices are high it may be an idea to revisit the purchase at a later time if buying a new 2020 model, or instead seeing there's still discounted stock of last years 2019 models.

Last years best buy guide: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

Alas Panasonic no longer sell TVs in Australia and Philips have only just re-entered the market with the previous models (804 and 803) both priced at a premium to the LG screens at the only retailer I can find that even stocks them.

Also unfortunately with all the welfare being thrown around like candy by the government in Australia there are no previous generations floating around (tried this path, haven't found a retailer that has had a C9 in months) so pretty much locked into the current generation.

Will be trying to grab in the next month+ or so (still waiting on the couch so no rush before that) so just hunting deals and hoping to see something at a price I like.

CX is certainly the clubhouse leader, for whatever reason it's actually pretty much the cheapest OLED over here (BX aside)

Realistically just looking to be talked out of the OLED because it's overkill for what I need but I'm not sure it is :)

Thanks for the advice and all the wonderful resources you've provided on here, has been years since I bought and you've been incredible at helping me catch up a bit at least!

Dodgexander

To many people a high end LCD TV can be an overkill because much of what separates high and low is with HDR performance.

With an OLED though you're delving into a different display technology, the differences are stark and more all-round than LCD TVs. You get both good HDR picture quality and a boost to SDR too compared to what you're used to due to the new display technology.

wogitalia

So the Black Friday prices have come out and I've basically narrowed it down to 3 options and just wanting any additional opinions out there...

Quick stats

- Viewing distance 3m+
- One seat in poor viewing angle.
- Majority will be movies/tv in 4k via Plex(Nvidia shield)/Netflix, sport secondary concern.
- Dark room

LG CX 65" for $3800
Sony X9000H 75" for $2900
Samsung Q80T 75" for $2800

Basically... is a 10" smaller OLED at $1000 more still a better TV for my situation or am I better going bigger and saving the money? Unfortunately at over $7000 the 77" is not in play for the OLED to make this easy.

(All prices AUD)

Dodgexander

Your usage would use a lot of HDR material and the two LCD TVs in your list don't really make the cut with HDR. They don't get bright enough. Good baseline for HDR on an LCD TV is around 1000 nits peak brightness. You really need the Sony X9500H or Samsung Q90T.

Unless you have the same Q80T as in the Americas.

So definitely the smaller CX is by far the best option if those are your best options right now.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom