TV suggestions please?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Buds, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Buds

Buds
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need some assistance. Been doing some reading and now just spinning round and round and more confused.

Need a new tv, max budget £700 and looking for 46 inch upwards.

TV will be used for HD TV, movies, sports and needs to accept usb playback across wide range of formats (mp4, mkv, divx etc). Ability to recognise .srt files alongside the movie files if required.

Ones I've looked at include:

LG 47LA620V
    Samsung EU46F6500
    Samsung PS51F5500

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated :)

2. Stas3022

Stas3022
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy any 1080p entry level LG or Panasonic plasma you won't regret they cost like 800(550 quids) bucks for 50 incher. This plasma will better than any LED lit LCD that exists nowadys ( Can LED LCD look as good as plasma? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews ) that you can get no matter cost. Kick in like extra hundred for calibration ( after you broke it in) at your local store( BestBuy, fry's, walmart etc... offer this service) and you'll have an OLED good and in some aspects ( like motion or color fidelity) better PQ that costs 8000 bucks or the movie projector PQ that'd set you back for like 20 grand otherwise. The joke'd be on you if you missed the "good-given" opportunity to buy one of the best TVs ever made for peanuts and bought piece of crap LED LCD, joke'd be on you man.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. Buds

Buds
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the link Stas. I wasn't leaning to LED over Plasma. Just looking for best size / picture / feature combo for budget.

The Samsung PS51F5500 was a plasma I had seen recommended on this board elsewhere so hence the pick. Any other units to suggest given the features requested? Smart TV a bonus but the ability for media playback (across the spectrum of formats) via TV is a must as the WD Live is going to the other living room with current TV.

4. Stas3022

Stas3022
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    F5500 is not really good at playback of heavy mkv (over 10GB) files and it's hit and miss on most of mp4, but it allows you to manage srt subtitles timing, LG doesn't the same goes for Panny, but Panny support everything even 25gb mkvs, but TS 1080p files and it also got prepaid netfix. The best TV video player is found and prepaid neflix on SONY's HX850 or HX920 you can buy one LED local-dimming SONY HX850 46-inch for about 700-750 quids with year warranty at my local fry's, but at bestbuy I've seen one for about 720 quids.(FRYS.com | SONY ) However my preference goes to entry level Panasinics, but unfortunately for I can't seem to find one on the net that costs less than 1000 quids, so if I were you I'd go with Sammy plasma F5500 and I fork over some extra 100 pounds on a multimedia system in the form of Samsung blue ray player. Why'd you need mkv, m4v, mp4, avi, mov, ts and the rest playback you got netflix for that (almost everything that's on blue ray and dvd is on Netflix)?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  5. Buds

Buds
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Netflix in UK is not great and content on PC / USB already in formats mentioned above (kids cartoons etc for little ones).

Looks like the Samsung plasma is discontinued. I wonder if better parking the idea for a couple of months and waiting for 2014 sets?

6. Stas3022

Stas3022
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were I'd go with this LG ( FRYS.com | LG ) ( LG 60PN5700: 60" Class 1080p 600Hz Plasma TV with SmartTV (59.5 inch diagonal) | LG USA ) then it can play any format you want just as any LED LCD LG, cause they use the same hardware as premium 3000 bucks LED LCD from LG. As far as I know LG has the best Image retention resistance therefore it's good for children who, I guess, love them some video gaming. At the warehouse in California where I work we still got a couple of F5500s left from 2013 lying around and we still supply them to local stores their retail price is about 650 quids Samsung never told us about discontinuing anything at least not in States and there were even hints that some new plasmas might be coming our way come the summer. And funny fact Netflix in UK somehow has thrice less of content than US Netflix...