TV Suggestions Needed

Twoods196

Novice Member
Hello all, been awhile since I've posted here but way back in the day I bought one of the best TV's I have ever owned from recommendations on here. It was a Samsung PN58C8000. It is still going strong with no issues what so ever. Currently it's my bedroom TV as I got a good deal on a LG OLED a few years back. The LG is currently in my living room and unfortunately I think the main board needs replacing. No HDMI inputs will work but built in apps, OTA an all still function. The only downside to it was it was/is to small for my living room. It's a 55" and looks great but just too small as our living room is fairly big. I plan to still fix it as the board is $200 an I feel it would be great in my office or one of our bedrooms. With that what do people feel is currently the best OLED TVs that are decently priced. I'm looking in the 75" range. Also are there any alternatives that is close to the black levels OLED can do? I've seen QLED an such but from my research it still doesn't match a OLED. Also we stream all of our tv from a Nvidia Shield and our living room is pretty bright due to how open it is an the massive windows in it. I also do console gaming on it occasionally. Currently have a Polk Magnifi Mini sound bar that I got on sale for 40 bucks and has amazing sound for its size. Yet when I upgrade my tv I have a 5.1 Klipsch surround system I used in my previous house in our theater room that I'm going to be installing in the living room. Not sure if all that extra info is needed but figured I would provide it if it helps someone recommend a tv. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hello all, been awhile since I've posted here but way back in the day I bought one of the best TV's I have ever owned from recommendations on here. It was a Samsung PN58C8000. It is still going strong with no issues what so ever. Currently it's my bedroom TV as I got a good deal on a LG OLED a few years back. The LG is currently in my living room and unfortunately I think the main board needs replacing. No HDMI inputs will work but built in apps, OTA an all still function. The only downside to it was it was/is to small for my living room. It's a 55" and looks great but just too small as our living room is fairly big. I plan to still fix it as the board is $200 an I feel it would be great in my office or one of our bedrooms. With that what do people feel is currently the best OLED TVs that are decently priced. I'm looking in the 75" range. Also are there any alternatives that is close to the black levels OLED can do? I've seen QLED an such but from my research it still doesn't match a OLED. Also we stream all of our tv from a Nvidia Shield and our living room is pretty bright due to how open it is an the massive windows in it. I also do console gaming on it occasionally. Currently have a Polk Magnifi Mini sound bar that I got on sale for 40 bucks and has amazing sound for its size. Yet when I upgrade my tv I have a 5.1 Klipsch surround system I used in my previous house in our theater room that I'm going to be installing in the living room. Not sure if all that extra info is needed but figured I would provide it if it helps someone recommend a tv. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The difference between OLED and LCD isn't as much as some would have you think. Certainly not top end LCDs. If you aren't worried about burn in, and can afford a 75" OLED then they are superb sets just be aware they don't get as bright so can't match LCD for HDR performance.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

If you are buying at 75" and over there's not really a sensibly priced OLED. They already are a lot more expensive than LCD TVs at 65", let alone 75" (77" for OLED).

So I'd probably work on picking up the best FALD TV you can afford at 75". QLED is just a marketing term for specific LCD TVs, its not comparable really to OLED.

In the US right now 2019 stock is mostly sold out, leaving only the new 2020 models. You'd probably be looking at models like the Samsung Q90T to be most comparable to an OLED but you'd want to wait until Black Friday or later to get a decent price. At very least I'd be looking at the new XH9505, Samsung Q80T at very least. Vizio, Hisense and TCL may also have some competing models by then too.

Twoods196

Novice Member
Thanks for the response's. It's kinda confirmed what I thought that OLED at large sizes are just insane in prices and I feel a high end LCD with a much larger screen would be the route to go. As of right now my OLED looks good when close enough too it but as big an open as our living room is I feel that quality is kinda lost. Even though 55" seems like a decent size this room makes it feel tiny. I'm going to look into the recommended models. Thanks again.

Twoods196

Novice Member
One set I was looking at is the Vizio PX75-G1. I've found some good prices on this set and seems to be highly rated. I like the high contrast it offers and seems that would really help HDR blacks look great. My main concern with it is being a VA panel and viewing angles. I'm thinking this won't be much of a issue due to our furniture being narrow in width but really far from the tv. I'm going to see if I can find at what angle the picture begins to look bad and determine if it will work for us. The 80t looks good as well but seems contrast is lacking. If I was going to game on the tv I would probably go with it but this tv will be mainly used for watching movies an tv. Also the Hisense H8G actually looks suprisingly good based on reviews and such. For the price that is. An then the OLED I was looking at is the LG OLED77CXPUA which is more than double the price of the Vizio I mentioned earlier. I don't feel the blacks compared to the Vizio is worth that much more. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Vizio? Thanks all.

Dodgexander

Yup, if you can still find that Vizio its a great TV and a 2019 model too, so not overpriced like 2020 models.

Hisense H8G isn't really up with the best when it comes to HDR since its peak brightness and local dimming isn't strong enough. The H9G should be more competitive in this regard. But really if you are comparing 2020 models like these to a 2019 outgoing model chances are the comparison is faux anyway, since any 2019 model left is likely going to be at a high discount compared to new 2020 stock.

The only negatives I've heard with Vizio TVs is the smart TV. The upscaling isn't quite 'up there' with the best but its also improved a lot more from a few years ago so it shouldn't be a concern quite like it used to be. Otherwise the quantum x should be terrific value if you can still find one.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom