TV streaming device which supports DTS-HD-MA and True HD (and possibly Atmos) when watching back blu-rays ripped to a Ubuntu Plex server?

jkk45

Standard Member
Hi all,

I've just installed Ubuntu server onto an old laptop. Onto this I installed Plex media server, and transferred a MKV rip of Nightcrawler 1080p blu-ray, and lots of m4a music files by means of STFP.

All works beautifully on various Plex client devices throughout the house (iPhone, iPad, bedroom PC, downstairs TV etc, which all have the Plex app installed on them.).

For the TV in my bedroom I have a UE40MU6120 4k smart TV hooked up to a Pioneer VSX 531 AVR (which supports up to DTS-HD-MA and Dolby True HD) along with some Harmon Kardon HKTS-5 speakers. However, because I'm using the Plex app built into the smart TV, and the said smart TV won't support outputting above DD+ internally, when I stream the Blu-ray rip ( which Plex explicitly recognises as having DTS-HD-MA audio track), I'm a bit sunk.

So based on this, what options do I have?

1) Is there a way I can completely bypass my TVs internal audio processing, and just have my AVR decode it to preserve lossless (DTS-HD-MA and True HD audio?

2) If I can't do the above, what are some good HDMI streaming devices which a) support the Plex App b) output 4k and DTS-HD-MA/True HD and possibly Atmos?

Last edited:

chenks

Nvidia shield pro

chenks

Went with a Nvidia Shield TV in the end (not Pro)

big mistake.
the tube version struggles with high bitrate 4k content

I’d return it if it can and get the pro version

chopples

Distinguished Member
Went with a Nvidia Shield TV in the end (not Pro)

If you got this to try and save a few pennies (over the pro) then imo a better buy for that Samsung set would be the Vero 4k+, it doesn't have a native Plex app but Plex servers are supported with OSMC (which is what the Vero runs on), it will also fulfil yoru audio requirements, no DV but due to your setup that isn't relevant.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Btw if you require the usual TV apps to play in full.glory minus Apple TV app then Nvidia shield pro would fit your bill but it doesn't do HDR10+.

If you don't care about TV streaming apps then Vero4K+ would be a good start. It supports HDR10+ but not DV

Same as above with Zidoo except that it supports both DV and HDR10+.

chenks

Btw if you require the usual TV apps to play in full.glory minus Apple TV app then Nvidia shield pro would fit your bill but it doesn't do HDR10+.

why minus Apple TV?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
why minus Apple TV?

If possible install Developer Tools in your Nvidia shield and check live bit rate on Apple TV app.

When I checked via FireTV 4K stick day before yesterday, it was streaming at 7-8 Mbps average as opposed to 23+ Mbps via ATV 4K (Godzilla Vs. Kong). Me and few others had reported this last year.
I did same few other movies and all of them were streaming at a very low bit rate. This should be the same with non-ATV devices.

I had one nice member in a different forum who tried to find out via built-in TV app and he reported the same based on router logs and this was around end of last year.

This has to do with Apple throttling the bit rates and wanting you to buy ATV box.

Due to this, the overall picture quality looks soft and compression artifacts showing up frequently.

chenks

This has to do with Apple throttling the bit rates and wanting you to buy ATV box.

well it's not a great plan, as those normal viewers will never know (or probably even care) that the bitrate is better if you have an ATV. for the plan to try and get you to buy an ATV they'd need to have a display appear on-screen saying that you are getting a limited experience.

in reality most probably won't even notice the difference.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
well it's not a great plan, as those normal viewers will never know (or probably even care) that the bitrate is better if you have an ATV. for the plan to try and get you to buy an ATV they'd need to have a display appear on-screen saying that you are getting a limited experience.

in reality most probably won't even notice the difference.

It's indirectly due to HDR. It masks other issues which is why many don't notice these issues.

chenks

It's indirectly due to HDR. It masks other issues which is why many don't notice these issues.

yeah but the point i was making is that unless they already know it's better on an ATV (and only enthusiasts are likely to) they will assume that what they are seeing is how it's supposed to be, thus it removes any incentive to buy an ATV that apple may have been trying.

in reality, only enthusiastis tend to care about bitrates.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
I'm in the same boat, I have the LG CX + Samsung Q900T soundbar.

So guessing Shield Pro is the best route for lossless audio?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I'm in the same boat, I have the LG CX + Samsung Q900T soundbar.

So guessing Shield Pro is the best route for lossless audio?

If you want both TV streaming apps with frame rate matching plus the ability to playback external media files then Shield pro appears to be the only single box solution (for now), Note that the Shield pro won't do HDR10+.

I already have ATV 4K for streaming apps and a dedicated media player (Zidoo) to playback media files.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
If you want both TV streaming apps with frame rate matching plus the ability to playback external media files then Shield pro appears to be the only single box solution (for now), Note that the Shield pro won't do HDR10+.

I already have ATV 4K for streaming apps and a dedicated media player (Zidoo) to playback media files.

It's mostly the external media files, I already have internal apps on the LG which I'm happy with.

Not fussed if it misses out on DV/HDR10+ but would prefer something that covers all video/losseless audio files as well as powerful enough to run the files without slowdowns in a year or 2.

chenks

It's mostly the external media files, I already have internal apps on the LG which I'm happy with.

Not fussed if it misses out on DV/HDR10+ but would prefer something that covers all video/losseless audio files as well as powerful enough to run the files without slowdowns in a year or 2.

the shield pro (note the non-pro tube version struggles with high bitrate 4k content) at the moment is the only device really applicable at the moment

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom