TV Streaming Device That Will Power Off?

Simon6776

Hello,

I am looking for a TV Streaming Device that is able to be powered off, so that I can use it with an HDMI switch and it won't interfere with other devices. I would prefer a box to a stick.

I've tried a NowTV box, but have the problem that it stays active, so I keep having to manually switch the HDMI to other devices, which is not an insurmountable task, but a mild annoyance, as I like things to be automated as far as possible.

I have two Panasonic Freeview Recorders, neither of which behave too well with a single HDMI switch, but I've managed to concoct a set up where they will all automatically switch independently, and I don't really want that to be disrupted. Problem is I have several HDMI devices but only two inputs on the TV, and now I need something that will stream YouTube as the YouTube app on my Panasonic DMR-PWT655 seems to have given up.

Thanks for any advice.

next010

Distinguished Member
Hello,

I am looking for a TV Streaming Device that is able to be powered off, so that I can use it with an HDMI switch and it won't interfere with other devices. I would prefer a box to a stick.

I've tried a NowTV box, but have the problem that it stays active, so I keep having to manually switch the HDMI to other devices, which is not an insurmountable task, but a mild annoyance, as I like things to be automated as far as possible.

I have two Panasonic Freeview Recorders, neither of which behave too well with a single HDMI switch, but I've managed to concoct a set up where they will all automatically switch independently, and I don't really want that to be disrupted. Problem is I have several HDMI devices but only two inputs on the TV, and now I need something that will stream YouTube as the YouTube app on my Panasonic DMR-PWT655 seems to have given up.

Thanks for any advice.

Pretty much all streaming boxes are on standby with no full power off unless your willing to live with long start up times by using their shutdown/power off function buried in settings menu (e.g. Nvidia Shield).

What you could try is get a HDMI-CEC less adapter this disables the pins on connection so HDMI cannot sense a device via CEC, it could possibly help if that's how the switch is reading the NowTV as active.

Simon6776

Pretty much all streaming boxes are on standby with no full power off unless your willing to live with long start up times by using their shutdown/power off function buried in settings menu (e.g. Nvidia Shield).

What you could try is get a HDMI-CEC less adapter this disables the pins on connection so HDMI cannot sense a device via CEC, it could possibly help if that's how the switch is reading the NowTV as active.
Thanks for the suggestion. So, with the CEC-less adapter, would that still work with an HDMI auto-switcher box, only I'd have to manually select the streamer when I wanted to use it?

I was looking at the Nokia 8000 TV Streaming Box but this seems to have less services than NowTV, and also seems to lack any of the terrestrial catch-up services, such as iPlayer, ITV Hub, etc.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the suggestion. So, with the CEC-less adapter, would that still work with an HDMI auto-switcher box, only I'd have to manually select the streamer when I wanted to use it?

I was looking at the Nokia 8000 TV Streaming Box but this seems to have less services than NowTV, and also seems to lack any of the terrestrial catch-up services, such as iPlayer, ITV Hub, etc.

Yes assuming it works in preventing the switcher detecting the box.

Android TV devices are in normal operation standby and can only be powered off manually, the button on the remote will only put it in standby.

Simon6776

Yes assuming it works in preventing the switcher detecting the box.

Android TV devices are in normal operation standby and can only be powered off manually, the button on the remote will only put it in standby.

OK, thanks, might give the adapter a try with the NowTV box and see what happens.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom