TV stick for laptop & boosting aeriel reception

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by AllanHainey, Apr 23, 2007.

1. AllanHainey

AllanHainey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I recently got a digital tv card to plug into my laptop to receive freeview. It's the same one as this ebay USB Digital TV DVB-T Card 4 Laptop/PC Compaq/Toshiba/HP but the aeriel isn't strong enough and it isn't picking up any digital TV or radio. The freeview website says I can't receive freeview in my postcode but I've heard their advice on this isn't that accurate & know folk in the same village (<1/4 mile away) can receive some stations so I thought it was worthwhile to try (plus I really need tv for the Scottish election coverage in May so it was either this or get a TV & freeview box). Can anyone suggest a good aerial booster/amplifier or aerial (not a roof based one) that I could use to get a reception, or something I haven't thought of.

Thanks

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    If you are listed as not being in a Freeview reception area, then don't expect to receive anything using an indoor aerial.
    You need all the signal you can get - which implies an external aerial of the right group or type and decent low loss coaxial cable feeding it.
    An amplifier/booster connected to an internal aerial is also very unlikely to help - even a low nosie figure one.
    For typical Freeview reception problems, read some of the threads in the Freeview section of these forums and note what ultimately worked for people.
    Also, see what any near neighbours are using for Freeview as this will give you a good idea of the local situation.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. AllanHainey

AllanHainey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I hadn't realised there was a freeview forum but now I know it seems useful. SOunds like I'm looking at an outside aerial but I'll do some more research & check it out before I get up on the roof.