• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TV, sports, movies, 50'' max, 720p, 1080p, shipping restrictions

Montit

Novice Member
Hello, I need help selecting a TV

I want a big screen tv (now I have 22’’ tv and 24’’ monitor), but I will most likely only be able to buy a 50'' or smaller TV because of delivery restrictions to my country (Cape Verde).

Main usage will be to watch sports and movies at 1080p and 720p, in bright or dark rooms. Right now, I don’t really have access to 4k content in my country and most likely not in the near future.

In the near future I will use the tv to play some games, but I'm not an hardcore player.

Distance from TV varies between 1.8m and 5m.

I don’t want to expend a lot of money with the tv, the cheaper the better. Maybe I can go up to 1200 euros if the quality really justifies it, but I would like to keep it between 400 and 700 euros (without vat). I will probably buy on one of the stores below, because they have option to deliver to my country, but if you have any suggestion about where to buy please let me know:

LCD / LED Flat-Panel TV - 110 matches with your choice

http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/overvie...+"~~~48+"+-+50+"~~~41+"+-+43+"&sort=Price-asc

Or maybe from a UK store and ship it with parcelforce (that seems to have good delivery prices to my country), or in the Netherlands store (Tweakers - Wij stellen technologie op de proef), but I'm not sure if I will be able to arrange the delivery/pickup between the store and the shipping company, because I never did it before.

This are some of the TV's I'm looking at, but if there are better options (for ex., on the Samsung side) please feel free to suggest them:

1 - Philips PUS 49", 6101, 6401, 6501 or 7101;
2 - Panasonic Viera 49", TX-49DX or TX-49EX;
3 - LG 55EG910V
4 - LG 49UH850V
5 - LG 49UH610V
6 - Sony Bravia KD-49X8005C or any 8000 series or superior
7 - Sony Bravia KD-49X7005 or 7004

Thank you

Montit

Novice Member
thanks for your answer.

I would like to get a OLED TV, but it's 55'', so I am not sure if I will be able to get it shipped to me. And if I don't manage to buy it without VAT, plus shipping cost and import taxes (30%), the total price might be too high.

What about the other options I mentioned?

Montit

Novice Member
I'm not sure about viewing angles, it is one of the problems of my current TV (philips 22PFH4000/88) but only if I am on a lower position witch leads to decrease on brightness, so I'm think on buying a wall mount able to turn up or down. I am happy with the sideways's viewing angles.

You're missing the model numbers there. I guess you're looking at the DX700, DX750 and EX700?

They are many, I also found EX600B, EXW734, etc, depending on the country where the shop is located.

Dodgexander

You need to know what kind of viewing angles you need really since your current tv is probably an IPS so will have better angles vs the best contrast and blacks on LCDs today.

If you view within 16-20 degrees from the centre of the TV you will be fine, any further and you will probably want to sacrifice better contrast and blacks for a wider angle.

Vertical viewing angles usually aren't as significant. I'm talking about horizontal.

Get the protractor out!

Montit

Novice Member
You meant, "install the protractor out"? :) .

If I'm not wrong it does not goes beyond 20º. But if possible please suggest me 3 options for each of this 3 price range: 400£, 600£ and 900£, one with best picture quality, another one with best viewing angles, and a more balanced one. :)

I am also concerned with resolution, FHD or UHD, if they are at the same price range. If I go with UHD which have better upscaler?

According to Philips 22PFH4000 television summary - Which? my current tv have LCD panel.

I don't know if its because of my TV been slightly turned up, but when I lie down 10º to 15º below the TV stand the picture will become very dark, and I will have to increase the brightness, otherwise I cannot see anything on the more dark images.

edit: what do you think about this Grundig tv's: Grundig LCD / LED Flat-Panel TV - 5 matches with your choice

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Well if you are within 20 then you can look at VA type LCDs.

1 - Philips PUS 49", 6101, 6401, 6501 or 7101;
- Mostly IPS.
2 - Panasonic Viera 49", TX-49DX or TX-49EX;
- Do you mean EX? DX? all high contrast VA panels. Weakness is poor HDR.
3 - LG 55EG910V
- Best option completely, fantastic SDR.
4 - LG 49UH850V
Same as Philips, below par. IPS so bad contrast/blacks
5 - LG 49UH610V
Same as Philips, below par. IPS so bad contrast/blacks probably even worse than the one above.
6 - Sony Bravia KD-49X8005C or any 8000 series or superior
VA Panel so great contrast, 2nd best to the 910v above overall.
7 - Sony Bravia KD-49X7005 or 7004
IPS again like the Philips..lg's...not great.

Grundig? - Don't make their own tv's no idea where its produced, likely bad quality IPS.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom