TV speaker help please

Just Old

Ex Member
Reaction score
I am considering changing from a sound bar to a pair of hifi speakers I have, to see if the sound quality will be better.

Can you advise what type of amp I will need...will a normal hifi amp do, or will I need one with digital imput?..if so why?

Am I correct in thinking the sound received by a digital TV is digital, and somewhere in the TV there is a DAC?
So that if I just plug into the phono out sockets on the TV anything connected to the TV,ie sky box blu ray will come through the speakers?

For sound volume will that be then controlled from the amp?

sorry for asking dumb questions!!!

Hi what model of TV do you have this will help assess your options

Ok so keeping it basic then I would say you could run a stereo RCA lead (the ones with the red and white connectors) from the TV to a basic stereo amp with a pair of speakers. Or you could get a suround amp which would take the stereo signal and spread it around 5.1 speaker system.

You should get sound from the RCA out on the TV from all connected items. You can test with a pair of head phones and an RCA to 3.5mm jack converter. This would enable you to switch between the different sources and check the sound comes through the RCA socket.

But to get the best from the Blu Ray player in terms of sound then an AV HD Suround Sound AMP and 5.1 speaker setup would be best. This way you connect all your devices to the AMP and then this feeds your TV with the picture

Thank's
So depending on what I have switched on then that sound should come through the speakers, without having to change the output dial on the amp?

Will any av receiver do the job, as I may look at e bay?

If you go for the RCA lead from TV to AMP then you shouldn't need to change anything on the Stero AMP when you switch between Blu Ray and Sky assuming the TV feeds the sound out regardless of what you are watching. If you go for an AV AMP then this acts as a switch so you change the source on the AMP eg Blu Ray / Sky TV and then the AV AMP will output the sound and provide the picture to the TV normaly via HDMI cable. So you will need as a minimum an AV AMP with 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. I am assuming your Sky Box is HD.

If you live in the UK then a good onestop shop is Richer Sounds

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom