TV Sound with Samsung TV and Denon AVR-X2300W

bfrost

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm from the old school where the only digital TV sound was using optical. Now, I've purchased a new Denon X2300 AVR and want to get my TV sound using ARC. Since ARC did'nt seem to work out of the box, to start with, I plugged in an existing optical output from the TV and went through the AVR setup choosing OPT1 for TV sound. This worked fine. Later, I found that I was not on the dedicated Samsung ARC HDMI input. Swopping to this, I've been though the setup again but no sound. ARC is on for the AVR, and the Samsung is sending volume and mute commands to the AVR. The Samsung sound menu shows 'Receiver' for audio. The AVR input mapping shows OPT1 against 'TV Sound' but removing this doesn't help. I am using an HDMI cable that I've had for a long time - could this be a problem? Otherwise, is there anything I can check to find out where the problem lies?
Thanks, Brian.

Last edited:
Onboard the AV receiver, turn both HDMI Control and ARC on within the HDMI settings.

Also check that Anynet+ is turned on onboard the TV.

I'd then suggest you put both devices into standby and restart them in order to reestablish an HDMI handshake between them.

Argh! Another few hours messing. Thanks for the suggestions which I followed several times. I've finally concluded that the problem must be software in the 4 yr old Samsung TV because after full resets of everything and a bit more fiddling I did get ARC sound. Not only that but then the AVR became much more responsive re power on off with TV. So, I then powered off the TV and played with internet radio for a bit powered on the Tv and now no sound again. I've tried another HDMI lead too. The Samsung TV is quite happy to recognise the AVR as an AnyNet+ device whenever I do a scan in its menu. So I'm back to optical. Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom