• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TV sound through amp ?

jondi

I have just wired up my new Denon 1910 amp to blu ray and tv, Bluray to amp via HDMI, amp HDMI out to tv. What i was wondering was will i need another HDMI to amp from tv to get sound through speakers when watching TV or can it be set using amp out cable ?

Last edited:

gurpswoo1

Hi there

There are very few if any Flat panel displays that work with sound in a bi-directional nature. Thats not to say your doesn't, if you supplied a Model number and manufacture we would be able to assist you better in dertermining your LCD capabilities.

However I would guess yours doesn't have this ability and will have to output the sound seperately. This can be done in two ways: -

Option 1 is via optical out, a nice digital out source that is less likely to suffer from audio lag.

Option 2 would be via the phono outputs which are simply red and white audio component cables. This tends to suffer from timing issues as the sound will be out compared to the picture on screen. Certain LCD suffer more than others.

If you have neither of these outputs, the final course would be to purchase a scart to s-video and component converter with a input and output switch. Then simple connect the same way as the phono connection is option 2 above.

Hope that helps.

jondi

My Tv is a Panasonic TX-L37G15b, I will need a cable around 2 and a half meters long, will Optical be ok at that length, won't HDMI work the same way ?
Can you recommend an optical cable if not ?

Thanks for the reply btw

Last edited:

MarkTaylor

I've yet to see any TV offer HDMI out, or use the return path that is part of the 1.4 spec so optical is your best option if your TV has an optical output.

2.5m is not a problem, optical is happy up to around 10m or so and sometimes longer.

jondi

I've yet to see any TV offer HDMI out, or use the return path that is part of the 1.4 spec so optical is your best option if your TV has an optical output.

2.5m is not a problem, optical is happy up to around 10m or so and sometimes longer.
Went for 3mtr PROFIGOLD Optical cable

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom