• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TV sound problem

Aloysius16

Standard Member
I had a Hisense U7Q installed this week to replace my decade old Samsung plasma. As I was out I didnt get to test everything, so am left with a problem as the TV audio (inc. smart services) now only have sound through the TV speakers, not through my decade old Yamaha receiver (RX-V367) that is connected to the TV.

My set up is a sky+ box and a dvd player each connected by HDMI to the receiver, and the receiver connected to the ARC HDMI 1 port on the tv. Sky and DVD play audio fine through the receiver but when I turn the TV to aerial or to a smart service like Prime it just continues to play sound from the sky box and plays tv audio through the tv speakers at the same time. If i select any of the other TV speaker options (which are 'ARC', 'SPDIF Only' and 'BT Sound Bar') there is no audio other than the sky.

I think I remember having this problem before with the Samsung a few years ago and solving it, perhaps by changing options on my receiver. I have tried changing to any and all options (esp. HDMI audio out which has 'amp', 'tv' and tv+amp' options). However none of the things I have tried have resolved the problem.

Can anyone offer me any advice. As you can probably tell above my level of knowledge is very low.

johnr2110

I had a Hisense U7Q installed this week to replace my decade old Samsung plasma. As I was out I didnt get to test everything, so am left with a problem as the TV audio (inc. smart services) now only have sound through the TV speakers, not through my decade old Yamaha receiver (RX-V367) that is connected to the TV.

My set up is a sky+ box and a dvd player each connected by HDMI to the receiver, and the receiver connected to the ARC HDMI 1 port on the tv. Sky and DVD play audio fine through the receiver but when I turn the TV to aerial or to a smart service like Prime it just continues to play sound from the sky box and plays tv audio through the tv speakers at the same time. If i select any of the other TV speaker options (which are 'ARC', 'SPDIF Only' and 'BT Sound Bar') there is no audio other than the sky.

I think I remember having this problem before with the Samsung a few years ago and solving it, perhaps by changing options on my receiver. I have tried changing to any and all options (esp. HDMI audio out which has 'amp', 'tv' and tv+amp' options). However none of the things I have tried have resolved the problem.

Can anyone offer me any advice. As you can probably tell above my level of knowledge is very low.
Go to the audio menu and turn of the TVs sound & make sure the receiver is connected directly to the TV and not the Sky box.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Were you using any content sources built into your old TV? It presumably had little in the way of smart features (USB file playback?) and it sounds like you wouldn't have been using it's TV tuner if you have a Sky box.

Your AVR would need to support a feature called ARC to receive audio from sources built into the TV.

Looking around there's a forum thread here saying your AVR doesn't support it and I don't see any mention of it in the specs or manual:

Aloysius16

Standard Member
Thanks people.

I will have another look at the connections shortly to double check, but:

John: I believe the sky box and the DVD player are connected directly to the receiver, then the receiver is connected to the tv. All by hdmi.

If it helps, the sky box and DVD player now show on the same input on the tv (hdmi 1/ARC). To toggle between them. I just need to change the input on the receiver. When the setup worked OK with my previous TV, I had to change the hdmi input on both receiver and tv to toggle between these devices. Does this imply anything?

I have tried turning the tv speakers off and selected any of the other speaker options (e.g. ARC). I still hear the sky audio through the receiver and external speakers. I just hear something from the tv through its speakers or silence.

EW: yes, the old Samsung did have basic smart stuff and I would play Spotify, Netflix, YouTube, Prime, etc. Initially I had the same problem and the sound would only play through the tv speakers, but I solved that a while ago by changing the settings on my receiver somehow. Thereafter, all content - inc smart tv - would play sound through the receiver if the correct inputs were selected on tv and receiver.

Final thing. We previously had an old wii machine attached to the setup via rcb cables which worked ok. Now the audio plays through the receiver if the correct input is chosen but no image shows on the tv.

Aloysius16

Standard Member
Update:

Taking a look at the connections, I see there is a loose optical cable connected to the receiver but not to the tv. The installer said there was a cable by the tv that he didn’t know what to do with (not an expert!). I half remember this being something to do with getting 5.1 audio from the fairly old (5 yrs) sky+ box.

I can’t access the connections myself in order to connect the optical cable to the tv but I have tried to do it. It has made no discernible difference to anything but, on the other hand, the connection may not be effective.

Further update:

It surely must be the optical cable if I can manage to connect it properly. I found an old piece of paper which reminded me that I used to change from hdmi2 to AV4 on the receiver in order to get smart tv sound. AV4 is the optical port and the receiver manual tells me that an optical connection is the method to play tv sound through the receiver.

Is there any reason why this shouldn’t work with the new tv in the mix. The Hisense does have a port called ‘Digital Audio Out’ that looks like my optical cable plug. Are they the same?

Last edited:

ZipBuiltIn

You're on the right lines. Page 14 of your AV Receiver Manual.

Capture.png

The Hisense does have a port called ‘Digital Audio Out’ that looks like my optical cable plug. Are they the same?
Yes.

Aloysius16

Standard Member
Solution with optical cable worked I am glad to report. The only problem is that there is an issue with the optical port on the tv such that the cable is not secure and falls out easily.

I now have a related question. I am changing tv/broadband from Sky to BT (the only fibre provider in my area). This offers 4K content. Would I need to change the set up to get this? For instance take the picture directly from the BT box to the tv via hdmi, and then keep the optical connection between tv and Yamaha receiver for the sound. I am imagining that I can no longer take picture through the receiver to the tv.

or should I start thinking about a new receiver? What might I want to look for?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom