1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Sound from Nicam Stereo and Sky Digital

Discussion in 'TVs' started by TonyLowrey, Oct 16, 2004.

1. TonyLowrey

TonyLowrey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have an old Sony KV28WS2U with Nicam and Dolby ProLogic surround sound with analogue, Ski Digital RGB, DVD RGB (RGB Shares scart with digibox) and VCR SVideo. I want to upgrade to a new Widescreen TV and possibly DVD or HD recoder.

I have had a look at the Sony TVs and they no longer offer Dolby proLogic surround (Virtual Dolby only). I want good surround sound on the new box.

Do I have to get a Dolby 5.1 AV sound system or should I buy another manufacturers ProLogic TV to get surround sound.

Do the Sony TVs output any Dolby sound signal so I can use an AV system?

I need some ideas about what to plug into what. Can anyone help or point me to a good site for newbies?

Tony

2. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's fairly simple to break down. The reason that surround sound TV's are rare nowadays is that it gives more choice.

Home Cinema systems are dirt cheap. And to clarify, a Home Cinema is a DVD/RDS Radio system with at least 5.1 surround sound. Once DVD's became mainstream, and the Dolby Digital Decoder was as such introduced (Dolby Digital > Dolby Prologic), Home Cinema's turned up. The seperates alternative was to have a DVD player with the decoder inbuilt (used to be £200 upwards) and an amplifier along with the speakers.

Sony's range of Home Cinema sets (to keep things relative the brand you're used to) go from just below £200 up to around £700. There's a model above that which used to retail even higher, but it's a waste of space really, so I'll ignore it.

So basically, with such a cheap solution for your DVD/Hi-Fi/Surround Sound needs (the DVD drives plays CD/CD-R/MP3 CD/SACD... the now familiar standards, but I'll only get into those if you ask me to) you do a sort of mix and match.

Find a TV with a great tube, then get a Home Cinema system. Most of them only require a Scart to connect and will send TV Sound back down that cable when you set the Home Cinema for that function.

A more expensive Home Cinema will generally offer more speaker power (and build quality) along with some slightly better playback. It's a big market in itself, and will depend a lot on your budget.

If you want more TV info, just ask.

3. TonyLowrey

TonyLowrey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    you said:

Find a TV with a great tube, then get a Home Cinema system. Most of them only require a Scart to connect and will send TV Sound back down that cable when you set the Home Cinema for that function.

I was thinking of a Sony 28HX15. Can you expand on your comment about send the sound back down the scart cable?

Regards, Tony