1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV sound broken

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Intifada, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Intifada

Intifada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody, I am a complete newbie at AV, after searching this forum for help I could not find a solution to my problem (because I don't know the professional terms)

I've got a TV with on which I'd like to view video's/DVD's

The telly's sound is broken, this means the whole module went to hell (neither speakers nor headphones give output, just distortion) and now I was wondering if in some way, I could connect speakers to the VCR straight away?

I'm using PAL, not that it has to do anything with this, i guess..

I'm really sorry if i sound too ignorant, but I guess there are fields at which I know more than you people... So please help me.

Thx

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Short answer = no. A VCR's outputs will not drive loudspeakers. You need an amplifier as well. *Unless it's a VERY unusual VCR.

If you want to do this on the really cheap - you could get a pair of amplified speakers such as are often used with PC soundcards - get them from a computer store or Maplins for GBP20 upwards depending on quality.

Otherwise, if you already have a 'stereo system' or similar, you can take the audio line outputs from a VCR and connect them to a tape or CD input on your stereo and get the same result.

Or, buy an amplifier and speakers. If you are going to do movies, especially off DVD, you should consider a 5 channel home cinema amp and 5 speakers (plus a subwoofer). This will give you, by far, the best experience from DVD.

3. Intifada

Intifada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already noticed some kind of Audio Output : one white and one red female jack.

Although i know **** about this stuff, i do know these aren't meant to drive speakers, i just didn't know what i could do with them now.

But now i saw the light :D

Never heard of amplified speakers though. i'll just connect it to my brother's amp he made for school. will do just fine then :)

I owe you alot, already because you just took the time of helping me. Thx a bunch !!

BTW : I saw a cheap 4.1 speaker set, for mac and pc, will this work on the amplifier too? i've already got a surround system (creative 5.1) on my pc, and it needs about 3 outputs on my soundcard... :s

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I couldn't say, without knowing exactly what it is. If it has both amplifiers and surround decoder inside, plus regular audio inputs then, yes. If it requires to be fed a digital source, then it will only work with the DVD. VCRs don't have digital outputs.

I wasn't sure you had understood me properly when you refer to amplified speakers, and your brother's amp in the same sentence. You only need EITHER

amplified speakers - ie speakers which have an amplifier built into one of the cases - PC speakers are like this

OR

regular speakers and a separate amplifier.

OK?

5. Intifada

Intifada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i did understand, what i meant to say was "i'll just connect some regular speakers to my brother's amp" but i wasn't focused and made a stupid mistake :)

allright, as far as i'm concerned, this is a closed subject, i want to thank you again for your time and help !

Bye