TV sound £300-£500, soundbar vs stereo amp vs 5.1

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by qpop, Dec 27, 2017.

1. qpop

qpop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Screenshot_20171227-125615.png

I have been running an old CA Azur stereo amp and mordant short Avant 902 speakers for the last few years as a proxy for proper home cinema. Unfortunately the amp has died, coinciding with a move to a new house and a new TV (hisense n5800 55")

We will be wall mounting the TV, approximately 3.5m from the sofa (see picture).

I see four potential routes forward:

1) replace with a newer stereo amp, keeping mordant short speakers
    2) replace with a soundbar & sub
    3) buy either a cheap 5.1 AV&speaker set, or a more expensive (say Denon 2400) AV, using mordant shorts for now and buying more speakers later.

We use the TV for 60% movie-esque TV (Netflix series etc), 30% movies and 10% music.

Given the options and the existing kit, I'm confused as to the best way to go, and would welcome suggestions!

Thanks in advance

2. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,627
    I have a Sonos set up which I’m really pleased with but it comes at a high cost and having previously had fairly high end equipment there is no soundbar that can match an AV amp.
    I wouldn’t buy a cheap 5.1 set as you’ll be disappointed, I would advise you to buy an AV amp to suit your budget then add to it when you can afford.

3. qpop

qpop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

I have read varying views on whether a centre channel should match the side channels. If not I was thinking centre plus amp would probably have the biggest impact?

4. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Front 3 speakers should match. Surrounds less important. Very similar shape to my lounge.

5. qpop

qpop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information.

So, at £500, would £300 on AV receiver and £200 on 3.0 speakers (e.g Tannoys sold at Richer Sounds) end up with a better result than, say, the Yamaha YSP2700?

6. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,627
    I’ve had a Yamaha YSP2500 and the surround sound effect was non existent. I’d still say spend your budget on a good receiver then add to it later.

7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    I would be tempted to buy an AVR and then use the rest of the money of a sub and continue to use your current speakers. This will make a 2.1 system for now but should add a new dimension to your movies. You could then add new speakers as funds allow. If going this route I would probably add the surrounds next to give you surround sound and then the centre last. This is assuming the TV is on the left or right wall and the seating is on the opposite wall and you will be sitting fairly central to the TV.
    If this is correct then I would look at getting bipole/dipole speakers for the surrounds due to the limited space to the rear of the seating (if against the wall).
    For the sub I would look at osmething from the BK Electronics range. If you can stretch to the XLS200 or PB subs then they will last a few speaker upgrades in the future.

8. ash23t

ash23t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I would agree with that.

9. qpop

qpop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response, an interesting idea I hadn't considered. The reason for thinking of a center channel is that movies sometimes suffer from the centre downmix issue on my current stereo setup, particularly streaming from Amazon via my Fire TV.

The two subs mentioned seem to be £500+, unless im missing something? Way over my total budget of £500 for AV + speaker.

Anything approaching reasonable in the £150-£200 range?

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    One sub will be enough for now and better to get one decent sub than try to stretch to 2 okish ones anyway.
    You may find the avr does a better job of a phantom centre but can easily add a centre later if not

11. qpop

qpop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I meant the two recommendations for subs (pb and bk), both out of my price range! Recommendations for a single sub at £200 or less would be welcomed!

12. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Bk electronics gemini II then. They also sell b grade subs at a cheaper price and they only have small cosmetic issues that you will hardly see.

13. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,627
    Second hand AV is a good way of keeping the price down but still getting quality stuff. Buy cheap and you’ll probably be disappointed. I still think you should ‘creep and go’ as I stated in post 6.

14. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Coming from a totally different angle, you could also buy the JBL LSR305 powered monitor speakers for around £200 (with stands) at gear4music (and if you ring them they will throw in the connector cable for free). Really fantastic quality sound and no amp needed. They are marketed as studio monitors but work perfectly as home theatre speakers and have enough bass that you don't NEED a subwoofer (although they don't go below 43hz, so you don't get the really low rumbles).

Review:
    Z Review - JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors