1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Sony KV-32FX68

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by thewolf, Jun 1, 2004.

1. thewolf

thewolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am planning to buy a new 32" CRT TV.

The Sony KV-32FX68 looks like a good TV set.

What do you think about it? Pros and cons?

Another other model worth considering in the same price range?

Thanks!

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I'm well pleased with mine digital and dvdwise. It is not too forgiving as regards analogue if the if the picture is a bit weak. Onboard sound is pretty good and the scarts have good input/ output flexibility. The only niggle I have is if you have to output the audio via phono you have to switch the speakers off (in menu) but as you can output audio via the scarts not really a problem.

3. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hi,
    I've got the 28" version of the set. The main reasons I chose it were :-
    1) connectivity - 3 scarts with 2 RGB + other connections
    2) 100 Hz - I tend to notice flicker

I'm very pleased with the picture through DVD (RGB scart) but it requires a good signal (digital or analogue) to be at its best and avoid a pixellated look.

Best to use the custom picture setup as 'Live' is far too rough and 'Movie' rather dull - set the custom to be a happy medium between the two.

My set is prone to the buzzing others have reported on Sony models. (I can hear it during very quiet/silent passages 8" away). I'm on my second set now, the first was replaced due to buzzing and poor geometry. The replacement (my current one) also buzzes and there is still a minor issue with the geometry, I'll probably get an engineer out to look at it. The set on display in my local dealer does not buzz, so I know it's not all sets.

So in general mixed feelings, it has the potential to be great, and often is.

4. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buzzing? I never noticed until I stopped the clock in my lounge from ticking and even then I had to get really close to hear it. So, I must agree that my Sony makes a buzzing sound. As for the set in the dealer, there is probably too much ambient sound for you to hear it properly anyway.
    I never use the onboard speakers as I feed a composite tv signal to AV3 from my amps output and the audio is provided from the amp too. My picture seems ok but I do agree that the movie/live settings are pretty much useless, pity you can't customise them without going into the service menu, something I don't really want to do myself.
    Altogether, I like the tv a lot. :thumbsup:

5. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Huw, I just noticed that you can hear the buzzing when you are 8" away from the set. Please, don't sit so close to your tv as you will ruin your eyes. :lesson:

6. Catch22

Catch22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As poor Huwg is suffering a buzzing sound that is driving him mad, and SystemBlack says he too has a buzzing sound that he hears, if he stops the clock in his lounge ticking :D I began to fear for my hearing as I could hear no such noise. So I closed the patio door,and the door into the hallway and turned on my set. Speakers in mute mode, and moved ever closer to the front of the set, eventually ending up with my ear resting on the screen, total silence.

I then went around both sides of the set, and yes with total silence in the room and the speakers in mute mode, and with my ear in line and eight inches away from the side vents [either side].....I too can hear an ever so faint buzzing/ huming noise.......

Ah but I can hear you say, what if Catch 22 is indeed going deaf, well I'll let you be the judge of that. I hear the "transmitted" sound [not the faint buzzing] on the second bar of the volume indicator.

Being an ex sparky I consider that level of system noise to be expected, however if I could hear a distinct buzzing noise whilst stood in front of the set, I dare say I'd be miffed a bit, but still far from considering the wrist slitting option. ;)

7. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Sorry, a touch of the Nigel Tufnel's there (Stonehenge - Spinal Tap)

I meant 8'

:rotfl: