TV Signal Distribution?

IanTag

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have recently run new cabling to alow tv in a number of rooms I have purchase magic eyes for these rooms to control the Sky + and standard Sky boxes remotely. I assume I simlpy plug in the magic eyes to the fly leads to the each of the individual remote tvs, (Sky receivers have already been programmed to send signal via RF outputs) however I'm unsure how to control the Sky receivers, do I need additional Sky remote controllers for each of the remote tvs?

Yes you do. Assuming you have an infa red signal friendly RF distribution amp it should work O.K. But the signal will be weakened and the control may not work properly if you have just split the Sky RF2 output. Ensure that you set the RF output power to on. The wall plate outlets also have to be non isolating, otherwise they will not allow the signal back down the coax.

If you are like me, you will end up buying a Sky box remote and also possibly a Sky plus/HD remote for every TV that you put an infa red eye on, if not it becomes frustrating having to go downstairs to change the channel over etc.

I do not use the Sky control system, as it can only control the Sky box. I use the Labgear system, similar - but different remote eyes, as the Labgear system can be used to control any in fra red equipment including, Video, set top box, dvd/video, dvd recorder etc. but you have to have the remote/s or a programmed learning remote in the other rooms! This works very well and the kids can change the channel on their own Sky box without changing my Sky HD box

I do not use the Sky control system, as it can only control the Sky box. I use the Labgear system, similar - but different remote eyes, as the Labgear system can be used to control any in fra red equipment including, Video, set top box, dvd/video, dvd recorder etc. but you have to have the remote/s or a programmed learning remote in the other rooms! This works very well and the kids can change the channel on their own Sky box without changing my Sky HD box

Which Labgear device are you using?

Piers

Or put both boxes on the same RF distribution using one of these http://www.letsautomate.com/11069.cfm? which then allows seperate control of a normal Sky box and a Sky+ or HD box. just got to remember to put the boxes on seperate RF channels that don't interfere with each other.

Mine then runs through a Loftbox distribution amp that sends the signals to 8 rooms. Each Room (not all have TV's) can then control either box through the magic eye using the respective remote control.

Cheers
Kevin.

Sorry piers-uk. I have just got back to thread and realised a question had been asked.

I installed my system about five years ago. Actually I upgraded the basic distribution system that had no remote control system that was already in the house when we moved in.

I have looked at the Labgear website and obviously the distribution amp that I have has been superceded. My amp looks similar to the HDU681S, which is an eight way amp. However, you can do a similar system using a more basic amp, most of which are now 'infra red signal friendly'. The amp I have can be used to directly take the satellite signal, but I have configured to take the all the sources through the loop down and loop up. All connected to amp by 'F' connectors.

It also has a CCTV input as well as UHF and VHF etc. I use this to feed/distribute a second Sky box and second viideo which are located in a different room (no remore infra red control on these secondary sources, but could be if it was in the same room as the loop down/loop up).

Then the infra red control is done by:
http://www.labgear.co.uk/products.p...Remote extenders&sc2name=&pid=65&pname=MRX120

This unit can control 4 items (only comes with one lead - two button receivers for two items), but you can buy more seperately. I think you can actually use two of these units together to control eight items!

Labgear sell a complete amp/infra red kit: http://www.labgear.co.uk/products.p...Remote extenders&sc2name=&pid=66&pname=MRX270

My 8 way amp is used to control the equipment from 7 rooms (7 remote control eyes), then one output is connected to the old distribution amps which are connected to the other rooms/TV outlets in the house (no remote control), but I understand I could use another 'infra red friendly' dist amp if I wanted to control the equipment from the other rooms. The amps are located in the loft and can easily be reconfigured if required.

TBH the main equipment that gets used remotely now is the Sky boxes, particularly after I upgraded to Sky HD and am using the video less and less. But the system does work well, with each source tuned into a different RF frequency on a different station on each TV, but obviously you do need additional remotes or to take the remote to the other room/s.

I hope that helps. Malwrx

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom