• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TV signal....can i use my Sky dish instead ?

seanh

Standard Member
Hi all,

Can anyone confirm please can we hook into and use our sky dish as our aerial for our small bedroom TV which has Freeview built in, rather than our traditional aerial in the loft as it looks like it may not be a digital aerial ?

We can only receive 5 BBC channels on it so wondered if it would enable us to hook into our Sky dish to get the other 50 or so channels.

Obviously, the cables are different being coax and normal aerial cable but a few search seem to imply that this may be possible as there are connectors available.

Can anyone confirm for me please if this is achievable as i would rather tap into the Sky dish signal rather than replace my aerial.

thanks in advance.

oldnewbie

The short answer is no you cant use sky for freeview ;) But I can tell you that I have two ariels attached to my house, One is a so called digital one and the other an old one and there is no difference lol So I would just try the one in the loft :smashin:

MarkE19

Freeview tuners can only receive their signal from a TV aerial. Freesat receivers can only receive their signal from a dish. Some TV's now have both types of tuner, but Freeview are the most common and therefore need a decent aerial to feed them.
Both a dish and a TV aerial feed to the TV via coax cables, but an aerial feed tends to use an Belling Lee connector while satellite dish feed uses an F connector. Therefore if you disconnected the coax from the dish and connected it to an aerial you could use the same cable, just replace the connector so it can plug into the TV.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom