1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV sideways during delivery.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by devoiddroid, Nov 20, 2004.

1. devoiddroid

devoiddroid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently ordered a 28" widescreen Daewoo from Argos.

I live in a first floor flat and delivery was a bit awkward due to a limited amount of space at the top of the stairs which meant the TV spent about 2 minutes on it's side trying to get it around a corner and through my door.

My problem now is that I am noticing distortion on the right side of the picture, most noticable on scrolling text (such a the news channels) or when an image pans from right to left, the image seems to compress and expand and is very noticable.

My problem now is if it's because of the awkward delivery. Or just because it's a lower quality manufacturer.

I could return the TV to Argos, but don't want to face the same problems again as it looks like there's no way to get a widescreen TV up the stairs.

Can anyone advise me if putting a TV sideways is likely to cause those problems.

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Are you sure that the distortion is not due to you viewing a 4:3 image on the wide or smart aspect ratio as this can cause a similar affect as that which you describe or is it visiable on true 16:9 sources as well ?

Cheers, Lee

3. devoiddroid

devoiddroid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No unfortunately not, you can see the distortion in all modes, including a true 16:9 broadcast, I checked by watching BBC News 24.

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hmmm...well I can't see that it standing on it's side would have caused a problem.

Perhaps you'll have to take a look at some flatscreens instead...they go upstairs and round corners nicely.

Cheers, Lee

5. devoiddroid

devoiddroid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And cost about a zillion times more! It would probably be cheaper to move!

Thanks for the help though!

6. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a 28" flat for around £300 on line, just look below for some examples. Most of these will be way better than a Daewoo.

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Toshiba_28Z44B

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPP-Standard_Televisions--brand_panasonic

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPP-Stand...hilips-screen_size__search__28___33_in_~S-213

Putting the TV on its side won't harm it as long as it's not given a sudden shock. What you are seeing is the fact it's a cheap TV, nothing else. I've seen a few of these cheapies running and they all suffer horribly with eht related issues such as bending, gross distortion and picture breathing. It may be cheap but it's also pretty nasty too and from an electrical point of view is about as crude as it gets. Take it back and spend a little more, it is well worth it.

7. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    What you have sounds like linearity errors. This is more likely to be caused by the fact this this is a relatively cheap set. Standing a TV on its side will not produce linearity errors. The only thing than can, very occasionally, be caused by placing a TV on its side is a displaced shadowmask in the tube. This will give purity errors, though this is extremely rare and is most likely to happen if the TV is tranported on its side for an extended period.