TV shootout _ 13th of Aug

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
created a thread to capture key points from today TV shootout event in London 13th of August.
Event organised by a competing site but we need somewhere to discuss it.
Anyone lucky to be there also invited to comment.

The contenders:
  • LG B7 (OLED65B7V) OLED TV;
  • Samsung Q9 (QE65Q9F) QLED TV;
Attendees will then be asked to rank the TVs (allowing for ties) from best to worst in the following categories (subject to change within allotted time):

• Contraste performance;
  • Colour accuracy;
  • Motion;
  • Video processing;
  • Uniformity;
  • HDR;
  • Bright-room performance; and
  • Gaming.
Acknowledging no single TV performs best for all types of usage, different awards will be handed out (based on attendees’ votes in the relevant categories) for:

• Best Home Theatre TV (for watching movies in a darkened room);
  • Best Living Room TV (for watching mixed/ sports content in a non-light-controlled room);
  • Best Gaming TV; and
  • Best HDR TV.

Meant to same image quality across the range this year though isn't it, so shouldn't make a difference

Agree with @furryhobnob
i prefer they test the b7 as best price this year :). If this is good, all lg Oled are good
I understand where you guys are coming from ,but really if you are using the top of the range Panny then all things should be equal (I'm not talking the W LG as thats beyond most people and more of a fashion statement imo) and they should use the G6 or the E6 if need be

I understand where you guys are coming from ,but really if you are using the top of the range Panny then all things should be equal (I'm not talking the W LG as thats beyond most people and more of a fashion statement imo) and they should use the G6 or the E6 if need be
If they really are the same image quality across the board it doesn't matter whether it's a b or a w range pal, if it was the 2016 models then I would agree as the e6/g6 had a different chipset to the b6

If they really are the same image quality across the board it doesn't matter whether it's a b or a w range pal, if it was the 2016 models then I would agree as the e6/g6 had a different chipset to the b6
Call me sceptical ,but saying that the range has the same image quality across the board doesn't really mean anything does it ,we all know how much variation there is between panels on these OLED,s.
Who knows if the E/G/W sets get better panels ,more accurate initial set up at the factory etc ,nobody does ,theres very few reviews out there .
If they used the G7 in the test then at least it would have been on par price wise with the Panny on release .
Rant over ,I am looking forward to hearing the results ,hopefully it will be a better shootout than the American one:)

Who cares they all have bands!!

Looking forward to it actually. I think its gonna be close with all the Oleds. Be interesting to see where the ZD9 places probably 4th lol

Will the TV's be calibrated or is it out the box testing?

Pointless having a award for best uniformity as it varies on each and every panel and are all the same from LG :facepalm:

How will the public judge colour accuracy,by eye?o_Owhich will they know is most accurate panel or just guess what they think looks accurate.

Best for gaming should be for least lag as will otherwise look the same, so pointless category.

Motion,will that be with motion interpolation on or off as basically the same otherwise.

Guess no dv award as only one set has that atm, so key feature omitted.

Pointless having best home theatre tv award and best hdr award. If a tv hasn't the best hdr then how could it be the best home theatre tv.

Most people will just vote on what tv they like/ most interested in and will vote for that even though they may not be hardly any difference in the sets.

Who cares they all have bands!!

Looking forward to it actually. I think its gonna be close with all the Oleds. Be interesting to see where the ZD9 places probably 4th lol

It really, they have categories and I expect the zd9 to win the HDR one potentially
Overall category doesn't mean much...I will be much more interested by the sub categories
Lots of hope on this event via Vincent as it will help us all.

Pointless having a award for best uniformity as it varies on each and every panel and are all the same from LG :facepalm:

How will the public judge colour accuracy,by eye?o_Owhich will they know is most accurate panel or just guess what they think looks accurate.

Best for gaming should be for least lag as will otherwise look the same, so pointless category.

Motion,will that be with motion interpolation on or off as basically the same otherwise.

Guess no dv award as only one set has that atm, so key feature omitted.

Pointless having best home theatre tv award and best hdr award. If a tv hasn't the best hdr then how could it be the best home theatre tv.

Most people will just vote on what tv they like/ most interested in and will vote for that even though they may not be hardly any difference in the sets.

Don't think there is a reward for uniformity, it will just be a consideration for one the categories.

Re. colour accuracy, they are using a reference monitor for all comparisons I believe.

Judging by the video explaining how they plan to go about scoring, It will be the television with the best score over a number of relevant sub categories that wins each award, so as per your example; a TV might not have the out and out best HDR performance but might come first in all other relevant aspects and so be awarded best home theater(at least that's what I took from Vincent's YouTube video).

Still, with all these shootouts in the end its largely down to the eyes (and perhaps bias:p) of those in attendance but I am still interested to see which TV performs best overall and I think they've at least been pretty clear and open about their scoring structure and criteria for each award.

Call me sceptical ,but saying that the range has the same image quality across the board doesn't really mean anything does it ,we all know how much variation there is between panels on these OLED,s.
Who knows if the E/G/W sets get better panels ,more accurate initial set up at the factory etc ,nobody does ,theres very few reviews out there .
If they used the G7 in the test then at least it would have been on par price wise with the Panny on release .
Rant over ,I am looking forward to hearing the results ,hopefully it will be a better shootout than the American one:)
Does the E/G7 have a tint as the B/C can?

I can only comment on my E7 ,and theres no tint
It would seem fairer to use a higher tier model then, as the Panny 952 has one but the 1002 supposedly doesn't, so why not use upper LG?

Will be very interesting to see the results that come from the three OLEDs as they all use LG panals, especially on motion handling and video processing side .

It would seem fairer to use a higher tier model then, as the Panny 952 has one but the 1002 supposedly doesn't, so why not use upper LG?

Because as mentioned above they are testing video quality not sound quality. The entire LG oled 2017 range use the same panel, processor and anti glare screen filter with no difference apart from sound and aesthetics.
The question people should be asking is why they have not included the Panny 952.

Last edited:
Does the E/G7 have a tint as the B/C can?
They are exactly the same screen so I would imagine so. My B7 doesn't have any tint.

I am glad that these shootouts are happening more and more as it makes the competition, who lose, to start raising their game and not just their prices.
It's alright saying the gap between, for example, Qled and Oled is small, but we get to find out in these shootouts how they really compare side by side.
Tv's should be priced at their value, not what the going rate for a new tv is.

Oh and it's also good to read the word "shootout" and not have it be about some poor young life being lost, but just about good old telly on telly violence. :D

Last edited:
Please do a Northern shootout next year, preferably Leeds as it is quite central for the UK. Would love to go to one. Looking forward to todays results.

Because as mentioned above they are testing video quality not sound quality. The entire LG oled 2017 range use the same panel, processor and anti glare screen filter with no difference apart from sound and aesthetics.
The question people should be asking is why they have not included the Panny 952.
The reason:
Update 3 August 2017: We have decided to use the Panasonic EZ1002 in the shootout instead of the step-down EZ952 to avoid a situation where if another TV won, there would be lingering doubt whether the EZ1002 flagship would have performed better than the EZ952.

The reason:
Update 3 August 2017: We have decided to use the Panasonic EZ1002 in the shootout instead of the step-down EZ952 to avoid a situation where if another TV won, there would be lingering doubt whether the EZ1002 flagship would have performed better than the EZ952.
They should of included them both.

Please do a Northern shootout next year, preferably Leeds as it is quite central for the UK. Would love to go to one. Looking forward to todays results.
Will we get the results today?

The reason:
I love their reasoning, yet they use the cheapest LG oled!?? I know they are meant to be the same across the range, but if it doesn't come first people will be saying it's because they didn't use a e7, g7 or w7

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom