1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Sharpness Setting...Help!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by booker, Apr 17, 2005.

1. booker

booker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how about the sharpness setting on the TV?, i always read that you need to set sharpness to 0 even on Analogical or HD tvs, since the "real" picture was with sharpness at 0 and the sharpness setting of the tv only "create" "trash/airfacts" on the screen to give you an "idea" if better definition.

This is correct? how do you know wich is the correct " sharpness" setting for the image you are looking?

I don`t want to make my TV add any airfact to my picture, but how can i tell?

yes, i got DVE and Avia, but still, this is kind of gray area on both calibrations dvds.

advice will be greatly apreciated

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Booker,

As you say, enhanced sharpness comes at a price. :lesson:

Basically, you can't add detail which isn't already there, and if the various systems worked perfectly, there'd be no need for HDTV!

But why worry about adding "trash/artifacts", if you can't see them from normal viewing distance?

It's all subjective, so the best setting for the sharpness control is the one which looks best for you overall. :lesson:

3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Normally you can raise the sharpness a little on a good quality dvd but sky tv is another kettle of fish.Adding more proccessing to an already knackered up signal is going to result in a mess.

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The actual "neutral" sharpness setting depends on the particular display. Digitally processing TVs may have a few steps of picture softenting as well. Setting the sharpness to minimum on those sets would produce an artificially softened picture, so you have to experiment to find out which setting is neutral.