Question TV sends wrong HDMI-CEC signal to receiver

iAmRenzo

Standard Member
I have a Panasonic TX-50AS650E TV and a Pioneer VSX-528-S receiver, both with HDMI-CEC.
Since I use my Apple TV 4 with HDMI-CEC I turned it on everywhere and it works find except that my TV (when powered on) seems to send a power off signal to my receiver.
That happens when I manualy power on the TV but also when the Apple TV sends those signals.

I contacted Pioneer, they say Panasonic is the problem. Panasonic has a solution: no use CEC. (Which to clarify, isn't a solution)

How do I manage to let my TV not send those signals? Is that a setting or a real error with Panasonic or Pioneer?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
With HDMI , CEC is optional for any manufacturer and they all have their own command set, i.e. The commands are not standardised.
Manufacturers have their own command set as an attempt to lock you into their brand.
The only way to guarantee CEC operation is to have all items from the same manufacturer and the same generation.

The only way to change commands is via a firmware update, and no manufacturer will change any command in order to work with a competitor,s products.

For control then, the best option is to not use CEC and get a universal remote like a harmony.
In that respect, Panasonic told you the truth, Pioneer lied.

Some Features that need CEC, for example ARC are obviously useless with CEC turned off, but again, as CEC is not standardised there is not much you can do except buy new equipment, and again, the best option when CEC compatibility raises its all too common and ugly head, is a receiver or soundbar with enough inputs so that you dont have to rely on CEC or its associated features.

AndyCob

Actually the CEC command set is a standardised protocol that is part of the HDMI spec, that's why for the most part devices from different manufacturers do work together most of the time though not always. However the specific implementation is not standardised in terms of what actions devices take, and by that I mean a device when powered up/down could be setup to simply send a toggle power on/off or a specific power on, or power off, or even do something far more complex such as request the connected devices current power state and then toggle or even do something else based on an internal configuration option. The reason this can cause an issue is if you simply use say a toggle on/off command, then if the device you were attempting to turn on was already on it would be turned off, so the differing implementations can result in issues even though the protocol itself is standardised.

This means it is not impossible this could be setting related but it would be necessary to know how you have things connected and setup to speculate on that.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom